Sr. Civil Structural Designer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins Nuclear is currently seeking a Sr. Civil Structural Designer to join the nuclear team in Oak Ridge, TN.
- Originate and check Civil/Structural deliverables of moderate complexity, including drawings and 3-D models for steel, concrete, and masonry structures.
- Interpret and verify industry standards, guidelines, and codes for project deliverables. Report design quantities compared to estimated quantities.
- Work with Design Supervisor and Engineering Group Supervisor to plan, budget, and schedule deliverables within the discipline.
- Participate in project design/model reviews.
- Participate in constructability reviews.
- Review and coordinate technical documents with/from other engineering disciplines, procurement, and construction.
- Act as mentor or coach for subordinate designers and drafters.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3 or more years of related progressive professional experience or, in lieu of a degree, 9 or more years or related progressive professional experience or Associate’s degree and 5-9 years experience.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be able to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check which includes verification of employment and education.
- Must be able to obtain site security badge for access to work site.
- Proficiency in the use of Microstation. Have a strong working knowledge of Intergraph Smart 3D, and be able to integrate engineering 3D Model input across multiple project disciplines.
- Experience in creating and modifying steel details in Tekla, knowledgeable in integrating models from Architectural and Structural Engineers, and experienced in BIM (Building Information Modeling) workflow process.
- Work experience should emphasize civil/structural design of heavy industrial type facilities. Must be familiar with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Familiar with provisions of AISC, ACI, IBC, and OSHA codes.
- Knowledge of construction materials and construction details and techniques.
- Familiar with methods of procurement and control of bulk materials.
- Knowledge of technical responsibilities of other disciplines associated with Facilities Design.
- Ability to independently execute the detailed design of civil/structural systems of moderate complexity.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering deliverables, such as drawings and specifications.
- Ability to express technical issues in a clear and concise manner, both written and verbally.
- Ability to resolve design issues with subordinates, other engineering disciplines, and construction.
- Ability to issue clear and concise direction to subordinate designers and drafters. Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen, and background check.
- Experience in the structural design, steel and concrete, for Nuclear and/or DOE facilities.
- AA degree in civil engineering or engineering technology.
- Six Sigma Yellow Belt or higher or working knowledge of other process improvement programs.
- Willingness to relocate after assignment completion
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles