Sr. Highway Engineer - Conceptual Engineering
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Orlando, FL team as a Sr. Highway Engineer – Conceptual Engineering.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-starter to join our Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise GEC staff in Orlando, FL as a Conceptual Sr. Highway Engineer. Highway Engineering assignments at this level involve a variety of projects, ranging from intersection improvements to interchange reconfigurations and limited access facility widening improvements.
- Responsible for the development and oversight of conceptual engineering design efforts and report preparation. This may include significant coordination with internal and external design support staff, Client staff and local governing agencies.
- Participate in the production of minor in-house traffic design tasks ranging from the preparation of concept plans to signed and sealed contract documents. This may include serving as a production project manager, overseeing consultant contracts for final design efforts.
- Represent the Client at meetings, making decisions and recommendations on behalf of the Client concerning project issues and disseminating the results of the meetings to the appropriate Client and GEC staff.
- Review design plans prepared by others and provide and communicate clear and concise comments.
- Confirms compliance with State, Federal and Turnpike design criteria and Standards. Record review comments in Electronic Review Comments system, (ERC), and confirm compliance to comments with responses and subsequent submittals.
- Individual has the potential to be working full time in the Client’s office and must be able to communicate well with others.
- Position will require the ability to lead and coordinate meetings as well as work well in a team environment with other consultants in the Client’s office.
- Position does require time management and organizational skills as the individual will be involved in multiples projects operating on multiple schedules.
- Position may require limited daily and overnight travel on as needed basis to support the Client.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS. or MS in Engineering
- This level may be achieved with 5 years of experience since B.S. ; four years of experience since M.S.
- Incumbents typically have six to ten years' experience since Bachelor's degree.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe Acrobat Professional
- AutoCAD Civil 3D
- P. E. license is required.
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience in transportation engineering. This level may be achieved with 8 years’ experience in project production and technical professional activities, two of these working as a Project Manager.
- Registered Professional Engineer in Florida, or the ability to be registered within one (1) year.
- Must be familiar with Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Policy and Procedures, including the Florida Design Manual (FDM) and FDOT Standard Plans. Experience within the tolls industry and with the design of toll facilities is a plus, but not required.
- Strong interpersonal skills; good public speaking ability; strong technical documentation and report preparation skills; knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficiency.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles