Sr Lighting Engineer (Building Services)
Atkins Building Design Practice are looking for an experienced, motivated Intermediate Sr Lighting Engineer/Consultant looking to develop their career in a positive environment and help shape a growing specialism and service within a global multidisciplinary consultancy.
This role will be based in our London office, but presents the opportunity to collaborate on a diverse range of national and international projects across all our focus markets, including Aviation, Cities & Development, Education, Energy and Transportation.
It is an exciting opportunity for a designer /engineer to further develop their career within a leading building design consultancy. The size of the organisation and multidisciplinary practice provides a both strong support and an opportunity to broaden knowledge of the built environment.
Our ideal individual will bring strong technical and aesthetic skills to the role, as well as an enquiring mind able to contribute to the growth of our lighting offering and digital practice through delivering high calibre projects at all scales.
Our focus is on developing our staff to realise their full potential, with development plans geared to individual needs and abilities. This role will allow development of existing technical skills as well as providing potential to expand digital skills and focus on further lighting specialisms.
Our Practice is committed to developing our ways of working using emerging Digital Technology to enhance the design process and delivery. We will support the successful candidate in their career progression to enable them to get to full membership of the appropriate institution, if not already held. Atkins supports the two major lighting professional bodies of the CIBSE’s Society of Light and Lighting and the Institution of Lighting Professionals.
- Ensuring an understanding of project or task briefs
- Taking ownership of lighting elements at all phases of a project,
- Developing, creative and technically correct lighting solutions for the project,
- Communicating lighting ideas and concepts verbally and in both visual and written formats,
- Managing workload and tasks against project deliverables and programme
- Engaging and collaborating with the project team in the development of solutions, including in meetings, presentations and reports.
- Day to day production of project deliverables such as concept documentation, calculations & simulations, specifications, lighting layouts and reports.
- Representing Atkins at meetings with clients and contractors
- Organisation of QA process through design reviews with peers and seniors
- Site surveys, inspections and monitor site works
- Managing elements of project delivery and an understanding of budget costings
- Report writing, maintaining records and archives to company standards
- Knowledge sharing and assisting with development of junior staff
- Undertake any other reasonable tasks or duties as required by the management team from time to time to maintain flexibility in the organisation. We support agile & flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our client’s expectations.
Qualifications & Skills
- Relevant qualification in lighting or related design and/or engineering discipline
- Experience of design creation and delivery across the all stages of a project lifecycle
- Experience of collaboration with clients and design teams
- Ability to communicate lighting in a concise and engaging way in both meetings and in report documentation
- Understanding of Regulations and Standards such as British Standards and SLL Guides
- Good knowledge of luminaires and light sources including wide selection of manufacturers’ ranges, alongside trends and emerging technologies
- Proficiency in standard Office Software, AutoCAD and calculation software such as Dialux, Relux and/or AGI32
- Competency with BIM/REVIT
- Knowledge of Dynamo and/or other programming languages and environments
- Knowledge of Emergency Lighting Design and regulations
- Understanding of lighting control protocols and relationship with BMS systems / IoT
- Experience of producing specifications, alongside understanding of contract documentation
- Strong sketching and visualisation and presentation skills including Photoshop, InDesign and 3D renderings
What We Offer
- Join a small, dynamic team growing the role and prominence of lighting both within Atkins and to external clients.
- A team looking to the future to create and harness digital tools to improve the lighting design and assessment process
- Access to a wide range of project types including education, transport, industrial and architectural sectors.
- Multi-disciplinary environment with opportunities for knowledge and skill sharing from diverse skill sets.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.