Sr. Project Manager - Highway Design
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Under direction, provides professional and project management expertise in Highway and Roadway projects requiring multiple technical units and/or subcontractors, heavy regulatory agency involvement or extremely complex technical requirements. Functions as a mentor to project managers and technical professionals to assist in their training and development. Also performs the basic project functions of production coordination, planning, organizing, directing, controlling, financial management and marketing.
- Work involves management and coordination of usually large or complex Highway projects involving significant billing, heavy regulatory agency involvement and unique management requirements and / or client needs
- Coordinates and participates in contract negotiations with clients and Subcontractors, and drafts very complex professional service agreements, arranging for their review and execution by senior management
- Directs project team compliance with contract terms, monitors subcontractors’ progress, performance and compliance with contractual commitments
- Participates in contract dispute resolution and litigation concerning project performance, administration and other liability issues
- Reviews and approves sub-consultant and vendor invoices, and resolves payment disputes
- Develops, communicates and manages project quality assurance, administrative procedures, communication guidelines, project deliverable formats and specifications, and progress reporting requirements
- Monitors schedules, billing and reports
- Ensures appropriate charging of man-hours, costs, and expenses to projects
- Assists in obtaining payment form clients; resolves client disputes and adjust billing records as required; communicates project progress/status to senior management and alerts them of project production, quality control or financial performance problems
- Identifies new business opportunities to the firm, coordinates and participates in project presentations to the clients and other external groups, and promotes firm’s capabilities, marketing its services among existing and prospective clients
- Participates in project opportunity evaluation, consultant selection, and in the preparation of firms’ qualification/experience statements
- Coordinates communication between internal and external associates and client, and between firm and regulatory agencies. Maintains frequent contact with clients and regulatory agency personnel to determine their respective needs and requirements, and serves as expert witness at project hearings and judicial proceedings if necessary
- Supervises other project managers, technical professionals and other design staff including managing weekly project workload and manpower forecasting
- Conducts project management training workshops and serves as mentor to associate project managers
- Monitors and reports financial status of projects to technical managers
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in field(s) of practice. Graduate degree preferred.
- Management coursework and/or MBA a plus This level may be achieved with ten years of experience in project production and technical professional activities, four of these working as a project manager
- Proven interpersonal skills, public speaking and persuasive ability
- Strong project financial management and team management skills
- Knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficient
- Professional Registration in fields(s) of practice required, if available. Certification as a “Project Management Professional” (PMP) or “certified Construction Manager” (CCM) required within one year of assuming this position
- GDOT experience a major plus but it is not a requirement
- Extensive transportation experience in a variety of transportation related projects from intersection improvements to major interchange / interstate projects
- Extensive client interaction and staff management experience required
- PE required -GA PE preferred but must be obtained within a year of employment
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles