Sr. Protection & Control Engineer - Relay Settings
Sr. Protection & Control Engineer - Relay Settings
Sr. Protection & Controls Engineer - Relay Settings
Why join us?
This position is based out of our office in Augusta, ME, or Optional (Portland, ME, Albany, NY, Massachusetts, USA) and reports to our Engineering Manager NE Operations. It is responsible for working independently on fast paced technically complex design projects. Sr. P&C Engineers are responsible for supporting or leading substation engineering project teams, with the development of protective relay design including relay selection, relay one line diagrams, schematics, SCADA design, etc.; transmission and distribution system modeling (ASPEN); and protective relay settings coordination, development and calculations.
The Sr. Protection & Controls Engineer will be working with members within the Clean Power Group, SNC-Lavalin designs, develops, and delivers engineering, including system planning and studies, procurement, and construction solutions for high voltage power substation projects from our United States office locations.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Works within a multi-discipline team to develop and/or review efficient and reliable electrical design packages for medium and high voltage substations.
- Leads Protection and Automation design to develop and/or review protective relay settings, relay settings basis, IED data maps, and SCADA points list.
- Performs design studies and demonstrate a good working knowledge of relay protections involving logic diagrams, calculations report, relay database management, and coordination studies.
- Coordinates design activities to maintain project schedules, budget, quality requirements to ensure successful project completion.
- Assists in site visits and station walkdowns, estimating, and attending project meetings.
- Accountable to provide design activities in accordance with applicable codes and standards, including SNC-Lavalin’s policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
- Selects equipment and material and preparation of specifications for material, equipment, and construction work.
- Delivers accurate and thorough electrical designs that will meet industry standard specifications and meet prudent engineering practices.
- Reviews internal and external designs for code compliance, good design practice and constructability.
- Coordinates design activities with other multi-discipline project team members.
- Provides construction support including resolving site queries, attending site meetings, and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects.
- Maintains complete project documentation with respect to relay settings, engineering studies and calculations, all design packages, as-built requirements and return data information.
- Maintains good working relationship with internal groups that support projects such as other engineering disciplines, Drafting, Project Management etc.
- Mentors and provide guidance to developing engineers within the department.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized institution.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of professional experience focused on the development of protection philosophies, automation & integration projects, and relay settings development.
- Experience in relay setting calculations and coordination of Intelligent Electronic Devices and Numerical Relays. Must have ability to use ASPEN or equivalent software program and be familiar with SCADA systems, Remote Terminal Units and Real Time Automation Controllers.
- Experience with IEC61850/Goose Messaging.
- A Professional Engineer (PE) registration.
- Prior utility consulting experience is a plus.
- Strong client focus.
- A high level of interpersonal communication skills, including a strong command of the English language with good written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of applicable industry standards including the National Electric Code (NEC), National Electric Safety Code (NESC), and IEEE.
- Ability to perform independently and in a team environment and provide project ownership.
- Additional hours may be necessary as workload dictates.
- Travel to client sites may be required.
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Motivational financial package & flexible benefits
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities
You think that a career in our team could match your profile, submit your application online now!
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com.
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs