Sr. Structural Engineer
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins Nuclear is currently seeking a Sr. Structural Engineer to join the nuclear team in Oak Ridge, TN.
- Originate and check complex structural engineering deliverables, such as steel and concrete calculations, specifications, material requisitions.
- Reviews and coordinates technical documents with/from other engineering disciplines, procurement, and construction.
- Prepare technical reports related to specific design issues.
- Manage specifically assigned project activities.
- Assist in constructability reviews.
- Support construction by dispositioning field change requests and nonconformance reports.
- Act as a mentor or coach for subordinate engineers and designers.
- Schedule and coordinate off-project review requirements for engineering deliverables
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- BS in structural/civil engineering from an accredited university or college, and 6 years progressive related experience.
- Prior experience working in a Nuclear Quality and Safety Environment. Have a U.S. Professional Engineering (PE) license.
- Must be a US citizen.
- Must be able to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check which includes verification of employment and education
- Must be able to obtain site security badge for access to work site.
- Ability to independently execute the detailed design of complex steel and/or concrete structures.
- Thorough knowledge and application of the AISC Steel Construction Manual, ACI 318, and ASCE 7.
- Proficient in the use of structural analysis software such as SAP 2000, GTSTRUDL or ANSYS.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Mathcad.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering deliverables, such as drawings, specifications, and material requisitions and of construction methods for concrete and steel structures.
- Understands work processes of other disciplines and departments on projects.
- Ability to express technical issues in a clear and concise manner, both written and verbally.
- Ability to resolve design issues with subordinates, suppliers, other engineering disciplines, construction, and the client.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication, planning and organizational skills are essential.
- Proficient in the use of Mathcad or similar software.
- Thorough knowledge of the provisions of ACI 349, AISC N690, ASCE 4-98, ASCE 7, and IBC codes.
- Familiar with Bechtel standard programs, such as ME-035, Base Plate II.
- Experience in the structural design of Nuclear and/or DOE facilities.
- Experience with managing discipline software life cycle documentation.
- Necessary skills to present technical subjects with competence and confidence.
- Experience in resolving field problems associated with FCNs, FCRs, NCRs, CDRs, and/or SDDRs.
- Willingness to relocate after assignment completion.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles