Strategic Bid Director
Strategic Bid Director
Are you collaborative, innovative and excited by growing a business in new ways?
As part of our Nuclear and Power business, we specialise in taking on the most stimulating engineering projects and opportunities that exist across the board, from technical solutions to project management. With existing relationships with the major operators in the nuclear sectors, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to meet the challenges of the global Energy sector.
To lever our potential and meet our growth aspirations we need a high performing Strategic Bid Director; one that thinks differently, acts smart and finds new ways to approach the market. As a senior member of the team you will be responsible for leading our strategic bids through the win-work lifecycle and successfully converting them into contract with our clients and delivery teams. You won’t be doing this in ordinary ways though, you’ll be bringing best practice win-work processes together with new ways of approaching challenges and opportunities.
You will be working closely with our market leads, technical experts, consultants and leaders across our business, as well as external partners, suppliers and our clients. To enable us to achieve the business growth we’re capable of, in the timescales we believe match our potential, you’ll be the type of person who just can’t help but get things done. If your natural style is to create momentum and enthusiasm to deliver on goals in collaborative and innovative ways, then we think you’ll enjoy the challenges and opportunities that we’re pursuing. The multi-disciplinary nature of our work and complexity of challenges our clients are facing, means you will be working with thought leaders and innovators to develop value propositions which set us apart from our competitors and open up new business opportunities.
Our established Nuclear and Power Strategic Bidding team is small (we like it that way, our focus is on working with the business, not separate to it) and dispersed across the world, hence your based location can be flexible. To ensure the best chance of integrating with our business and leveraging our potential you will be expected to spend some time on the move working remotely in our UK, European and Middle East locations in order to lead bid teams and support client engagements.
The Bid Director is the owner of the Win Strategy and therefore you will be responsible for providing insight and understanding of the customer’s requirement so as to develop a Win Strategy that considers:
• The Customer’s aims, objectives and issues and the necessary value, benefits and discriminators required to deliver a successful proposal
• Competitor intelligence and analysis, including: the competitor strengths and SNC-Lavalin’s’ mitigation approaches
• The solution to be delivered and the requirement in order to be both profitable and commercially competitive
The role will involve working across our teams with direct line reporting to our Operations & Commercial Director.
Your responsibilities in this role would include:
• Nurturing customer relationships and any required customer engagement activities.
• Liaison with internal stakeholders to obtain the resources necessary in order to create a winning Bid Team
• Ensuring all relevant stakeholders are suitably informed as to the status of the Bid / Opportunity pursuit.
• Continuing to build on partner and/or supplier relationships; including defining the contribution required of partners through the establishment of relevant non-disclosure and teaming agreements and leading on any required commercial negotiations.
• Development of the offer price and the commercial shape of the proposal
• Providing lead review and advice on submissions prepared by the business
• Proactive involvement in the development and implementation of initiatives to improve the quality and cost effectiveness and success of all bid submissions
• Providing a mentor/role model for best practice approaches and behaviours across the core business development and wider work winning community
In addition to having previous experience and success in major strategic bid preparation and management, you will also be able to demonstrate the following:
• Strong commercial awareness and an experience of a range of business models and commercial constructs
• In depth knowledge of best practice Win Work process, tools and practices
• Excellent communication skills – written as well as verbal
• Experience of writing high quality, compelling proposal material
• Ability to lead a team to deliver tasks on time and within budget
• Able to select, form and motivate high-performing bid teams
• An ability to make sense of complex problems
• Experience liaising with external and internal contacts at a range of levels
Experience of the following would be desirable:
• Knowledge of the Nuclear & Power sectors
• Knowledge of both public and private sector bidding and business development
• Key stakeholder contacts across industry and government
• Negotiation experience
• Experience of bidding in an international environment
• Engineering or business / marketing-related degree
• Experience of software packages such as MS SharePoint, MS Project, MS CRM etc
• Awareness of industry recognised techniques such as Shipley, Miller Heiman and Huthwaites
Our teams are highly successful, at all levels and play to their strengths. For this role, the following behaviours would be beneficial:
• Strong relationship builder, able to work with senior staff from across the wider SNC-Lavalin business and develop relationships with our clients
• Self-starter, motivated and able to manage own time and supporting bid teams
• Enthusiastic/proactive outlook – generating ideas/identifying improvement opportunities
• Ability to work effectively and calmly under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Attention to detail
• Well organised and able to prioritise work effectively
Atkins is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs