Structural Analysis Engineer
Our successful Engineering and Consultancy (E&C) UK and Europe business is looking to recruit several Structural Analysis Engineers for our Edinburgh or Glasgow offices. If you are enthusiastic, driven and thrive on working on some of the most exciting and varied energy projects in the Offshore Oil and Gas and Renewables sectors, then this could be the role for you.
Our Oil and Gas business has been operating for over four decades and the pace of change has never been greater than it is now. These are critical times in how the world generates and uses energy. Within E&C, our services are focused on upstream operations engineering i.e. maintain safe and efficient operations on behalf of our clients, and provide engineering solutions encompassing offshore fixed, floating and subsea facilities.
Our industry leading Structural Analysis team is key to the multi-disciplinary design and assurance services that we provide to our clients. The structural team work in the Offshore Oil and Gas and Renewables sectors, including front end design, advanced numerical assessment, consultancy studies, integrity management of fixed and floating assets and decommissioning. We provide engineering support to new projects and to our clients’ existing offshore assets.
You will work as part of the Structural Analysis team on both new design projects and the assessment of existing assets depending on the business requirements. This is a varied role and will include everything from hand calculations to linear and non-linear finite element analysis. The role includes working with others to identify and develop new technical methodologies as well as communicating and maintaining client relationships.
You will to manage your own cost and time targets to deliver an efficient, high calibre engineering service and be able to prepare the associated clear, concise, high quality reports. You will be working in a team of very experienced engineers to execute projects and will have the opportunity to develop your capabilities in line with the requirements of the Atkins career paths.
You will have a strong analytical background and a desire to develop in the field of structural engineering and analysis. In addition to this, you will be able to work with other teams in the UK, and worldwide, to develop cross-discipline capabilities. You will have the potential and desire to progress to Senior Engineer status and beyond. In addition to having the ability to cope with rapidly changing and challenging projects, you will bring a flexible approach to adapt to individual situations. Other key requirements include:
• Experience of offshore structural design and analysis.
• An understanding of the fundamentals of structural engineering and of relevant offshore structural codes and standards.
• Linear and non-linear FEA experience in DNV SESAM, USFOS and ABAQUS or other comparable software package is preferred.
• Technical understanding of environmental wave loading is preferred.
• An Engineering degree (honours or equivalent) in civil, mechanical, structural, or similar engineering discipline.
• Proven success in helping to deliver structural projects against external and internal time, cost and quality objectives.
• Building and maintaining client relationships, with a view to winning more work.
• Contributing to successful proposals and tenders.
• Day to day operational support to client engineers including representing the company at meetings, production of deliverables and presentations.
• Ability to report, interpret and communicate the engineering implications of complex analysis results to colleagues and clients, including the implications of problems encountered in the delivery of work.
• Ability to support winning work from new and existing clients, through clear and professional communications.
• Experience of applying appropriate quality assurance and reporting.
• Working towards Chartered status is considered advantageous,
• Self-motivated, positive, enthusiastic, reliable, consistent and mature approach to work – appropriate to delivering growth in the face of challenging market conditions.
• Willingness to develop a wide range of skills and flexibility to work on variety of projects.
• Travel to other company sites may be necessary.
• Flexible working options may be considered for this vacancy.
• Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
• Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our engineers. Developing your capability is key to our success, and that is why we place such an importance on it.
Atkins, a member of the SNC Lavalin Group, is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’, and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in virtually every region of the world, in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.