Structural Integrity Engineer
Structural Integrity Engineer
Job Title: Structural Integrity Engineer
We are seeking a Structural Integrity Engineer with a strong background in engineering to join our Nuclear and Power team in Derby or Sheffield.
Are you interested in a career opportunity within the growing Nuclear and Power sector? This could be the role for you.
About the Team
The Derby and Sheffield team’s work supports a number of key nuclear programmes including the UK Submarine programme, the existing nuclear generation fleet, decommissioning and high integrity structures for new nuclear establishments. The team are also increasing support to a range of exciting Civil Nuclear new build projects such as the UK SMR programme of which Atkins are a major part of the consortium.
We also deliver work to the wider Energy industry, making use of our strong design and analytical skills to deliver projects for other internal or external clients.
Joining our team gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself through delivering interesting and varied projects for a range of different clients and industries.
What you’ll be doing
Atkins Nuclear and Power requires a Senior Structural Integrity Engineer to join our expanding team. As well as leading your own complex projects to successful delivery, you will be expected to provide Technical Governance to other projects to ensure that we continue to deliver to our high standards.
As a successful applicant, you would be expected to:
- Identify, supervise and produce calculations, analyses, and designs to demonstrate acceptable performance or identify design issues.
- Author and update major technical documents to present technical findings (e.g. design substantiation reports, safety justifications).
- Lead requirements capture activities to identify the scope of work required.
- Support bidding activities and produce proposal documents.
- Manage task delivery against Time, Cost and Quality requirements.
- Support our QA process through review or checking colleagues’ work.
- Lead presentations to clients.
- Lead or work within project teams (though some independent work, including placements at clients’ sites, may be required).
- Take responsibility for the quality and delivery of your own work and maintain Atkins’ reputation.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of delivering high-quality, complex technical solutions in challenging timescales.
You’ll need to have:
- Degree-qualified or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Chartered Engineer
Significant demonstrable experience in two or more of the following technical disciplines is required:
- Stress analysis by hand calculation
- Finite Element analysis (preferably Abaqus or Ansys)
- Fatigue and fracture assessment
- ASME III
- Thermal analysis
Furthermore, the successful candidate will demonstrate;
- The ability to apply existing technical expertise and a sound understanding of mechanical engineering principles to varied projects and domains.
- A desire to be challenged and to contribute to the success of the business.
- Familiarity with working to design codes and industry standards appropriate for a safety critical industry (ASME, Eurocodes, BS EN13001, RCC-M etc)
Experience in one or more of the following industry domains is also desirable, but relevant experience of the essential criteria above from other industries will be considered;
- Steam-raising power plant and components (pressure vessels, heat exchangers, pumps, valves, pipework etc)
- Nuclear industry knowledge and safety case appreciation
Although the team is based in Derby and Sheffield, the wider Nuclear and Power business has opportunities at locations around the country, internationally and at various client sites. Flexibility on work location and a willingness to undertake secondments to other sites is beneficial.
This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the UK and Europe. There will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and also for international travel as part of the wider global business.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Our vision is to be the premier engineering solutions’ partner for our clients, delivering complex projects from vision to reality for a sustainable lifespan. We are continuously transforming to be number one on the market, and are looking for ingenious minds to share our ambition.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in virtually every region of the world and in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
Atkins is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role will require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs