Structural Project Engineer
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Hillsboro,OR Engineering Group as a Structural Project Engineer.MAJOR FUNCTION/ROLE
This position will be responsible for the structural design, supervision and production of diverse projects located in Oregon and throughout the US. Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments. Makes decisions independently on complex engineered systems, commensurate with experience and seniority. Applies knowledge of Civil, Structural and Architectural (CS&A) principles to design, plan, permit and construct civil works. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
Structural Project Engineers are one of the first to be consulted for any major construction project related to wet and dry mechanical facilities systems. Early in the project, they assess feasibility of new projects. They later develop more detailed scope through field walks and collaboration with facilities operations partners and project engineers from other disciplines. During detailed design and construction performed by our world-class supply chain partners, our Structural Project Engineers serve as the Owner’s representative to provide technical guidance and issue resolution.
Our Project Engineers are the primary leaders who develop discipline scope and engineering solutions for construction projects. They interface and coordinate with contract design, construction, scheduling, and estimating resources. They also interface with facilities staff and project managers to enable facility design efforts for their area of expertise. Project Engineers define design criteria, lead scope definition and justification, develop design concepts, and oversee completion of positioning, programming and detailed design. They work with estimators to ensure costs are captured and project budgets are met. Project Engineers have strong knowledge of Intel’s master specifications and standards yet use our change process to improve those standards and drive innovative solutions.JOB DUTIES
- Develops design documents including specification and calculations to document compliance with project and code requirements. Performs a variety of engineering calculations using traditional engineering methods or Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for foundations, reinforce concrete structure and components, structural steel frames and other similar concrete and steel structural components and systems.
- Generates fully compliant civil/structural drawing for layouts, building sections/plans/details, foundation details, steelwork details and architectural feature design.
- Assists in the preparation and approval of design documents and plant modifications, including supervision of engineers and designers in document development in accordance with approved procedures, processes, design requirements and national consensus standards.
- Provides technical expertise and guidance to develop, manage and implement engineering analysis, activities and programs to identify and resolve equipment and system problems.
- Familiar with national codes and standards appropriate to the CS&A Engineering discipline such as IBC, ASCE 7, AISC 341, AISC-360, AISC 325, and ACI 318. Ideal candidate will also have experience using nuclear civil and structural codes such as ACI 349, AISC N690, ASCE 43-03, and AISC Design Guide 27.
- Ensures relevant design criteria, specifications, practices, procedures and codes and site design and safety and licensing basis are used in preparation of design media.
- Interfaces with clients, Atkins staff, within the team and supporting sub-contractors to ensure work is being completed in a safe and efficient manner, ensuring that safety is an integral element embodied in equipment design and specification.
- Works in multi-discipline teams on project-based work and ensures integration of design across multiple disciplines.
- Performs checking to ensure accuracy of design media in accordance with company policies and procedures and client expectations.
- Works on a timeline, ensuring the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of work and initiates corrective measures to overcome delays.
- Understands, complies and is responsible for working to environmental health and safety policies and procedures, and attends meetings as required.
- Recommends new equipment, concepts and techniques to improve performance, simplify design, reduce costs, correct design flaws or to comply with changes in client requirements, codes or regulations.
- Performs independent research, reviews, studies and analyses in support of plant changes and design modifications.
- Supports installation and testing of site systems and components.
- Participates in the preparation of cost estimates for engineering services to internal and external clients and coordinates work assignments to meet project-established schedules and budgets.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S in Civil Engineering with Structural emphasis.
- Typical incumbent has a minimum of 7 years’ experience since Bachelor's Degree, on architectural and engineering projects. Focus on industrial, semiconductor, and cleanroom projects is preferred.
- Technical writing experience (e.g. specifications)
- Familiarity with Autocad, P&ID’s, Pipeflo, and BIM is preferred
- Basic knowledge of control methods for mechanical systems
- Excellent written, visual and verbal communication – especially in communicating technical issues
- Ability to collaborate across engineering disciplines, organizations and geographic boundaries.
- Highly team and quality oriented
- Value for safety and a safe project environment
- Experience with construction, start-up, and commissioning/turnover of facilities systems
- Experience with building and fire codes and hazardous occupancies is preferred
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of STAAD Pro, ANSYS, ABAQUS or similar FEA design software
- Highly familiar with Civil Engineering industry codes and standards
- Experienced in the management of complex engineering projects and seismic design
- Experience in working in a highly regulated environment desirable
- S.E License is required in OR, or have the ability to obtain within 60 days of starting assignment
- This role is required to support a client in Oregon, but who has projects in Arizona, Israel and Ireland. The client’s team consists of a team of specialized in-house architects and engineers in a highly collaborative environment. This team works together with a factory, operations and supply chain partners to deliver some of the most technically challenging projects in the world with demanding schedule and cost constraints
- This position will be based in Oregon. See licensing requirement above.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary.
- Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:https://careers.snclavalin.com/equal-opportunities-statement Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.