Working out of SNC-Lavalin’s office in Augusta, ME and with members within the Clean Power Group, SNC-Lavalin designs, develops, and delivers engineering, including system planning and studies, procurement, and construction solutions for high voltage power substation projects from our United States office locations. SNC-Lavalin offers exciting full time career opportunities for Intermediate and Senior Substation Engineers to make their career in the area of electrical design of high voltage substations. Our Substation Engineers are responsible for supporting or leading substation engineering project teams, with the development of General Arrangements for Substations, Equipment Plans, Elevations, and Sections, Control House Layouts, Grounding design, Conduit and cable design, Creation of Bills of Materials, and Cable schedules.
As a Substation Engineer in the SNC-Lavalin’s Clean Power Sector and reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will work within a multi-discipline team to develop efficient and reliable electrical design packages for high voltage substations. The incumbent will coordinate his/her design activities to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion. The incumbent will also assist in site visits and station walk downs, estimating, and attending project meetings.
This position is accountable to provide design activities in accordance with applicable codes and standards, including SNC-Lavalin’s policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
Responsibilities for the Electrical Engineer Include:
- Design of electrical substation facilities including site and equipment layouts, elevations, buswork, ground grids, lightning shielding etc.
- Selection of equipment and material and preparation of specifications for material, equipment, and construction work
- Delivery of accurate and thorough electrical designs that will meet industry standards and specifications, and meet prudent engineering practices
- Review of internal and external designs for code compliance, good design practice and constructability
- Coordinating design activities with other multi-discipline project team members
- Construction support including resolving site queries, attending site meetings and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects
- Maintaining complete project documentation with respect to engineering studies and calculations, all design packages, as-built requirements and return data information
- Maintaining good working relationship with internal groups that support projects such as other engineering disciplines, Drafting, Project Management etc.
- Assist Senior Engineers for various engineering and design activities
- Mentoring and providing guidance to developing engineers within the department
- A minimum of 5 years experience in substation outdoor design for Intermediate positions
- A minimum of 10 years experience in substation outdoor design for Senior positions
- Prior utility or consulting experience is a plus.
- A degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized institution.
- A Professional Engineer (PE) registration (or eligible for registration)
- Knowledge of modern power system, power system protection and transmission & distribution system
- Strong client focus
- A high level of interpersonal communication skills, including a strong command of the English language with good written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of applicable industry standards including the National Electric Code (NEC), National Electric Safety Code (NESC), and IEEE.
- Ability to succeed in a team environment and provide project ownership
- Proficiency in AutoCAD
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these difference.