Sustainability Consultant (Principal/Associate)
Do you want to make a real difference in driving the sustainability performance of major infrastructure projects, contributing to the transition to a zero carbon and carbon positive future? We are looking to recruit an experienced Sustainability Consultant with strong experience in carbon management and integrating sustainability in the design and construction of infrastructure projects to join our growing team of dedicated sustainability and environmental professionals.
You will provide technical leadership for our team based in Epsom and London delivering an exciting range of high-profile projects, including large scale energy projects, major water infrastructure schemes, airport, rail and highways improvement schemes. Our key clients include Network Rail, TfL, Highways England, Heathrow Airport Limited, Environment Agency, water and energy companies.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Our proven track record in delivering complex solutions is made possible by the collective breadth and depth of expertise, experience and resources of our people and businesses around the world.
Based in the Environment division of our UK Infrastructure business, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with our infrastructure and other built asset project teams throughout the project lifecycle and, in particular, the design and construction phases of projects.
This is an excellent career development opportunity for a candidate with proven experience, looking to progress their career to the next level through working on high profile infrastructure projects throughout the UK and internationally.
- Provide technical leadership for our existing portfolio of major infrastructure projects
- Support the technical skills and career development our growing team of sustainability professionals
- Lead the business development of our sustainability services, particularly in relation to carbon management services, and develop relationships with existing and new clients
- Identify, prioritise and manage sustainability characteristics, risks and opportunities for projects and operations.
- Manage the development of sustainable design and management approaches, methods and solutions.
- Develop sustainability strategies, design and management plans.
- Work as part of project teams providing pragmatic technical support to influence project development and drive delivery of optimal project sustainability performance
- Project manage and coordinate of sustainability inputs on major projects.
- Provide advice to clients/ design teams on the most cost-effective and beneficial route to compliance
- Represent the company and continue to build personal, team and company reputation.
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level in a sustainability / environment related or engineering discipline and will have achieved, or be working towards, chartered status and / or full or associate membership of a recognised relevant professional body. You will possess strong sustainability related expertise, a wide range of skill sets and a willingness to become involved in a broad selection of projects.
The successful applicant will:
- Have an excellent understanding of sustainability, in particular carbon and resource efficiency, in an infrastructure project context.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and experience working collaboratively with a range of technical specialists at different levels.
- Be highly self-motivated, possessing strong enthusiasm and commitment to delivering sustainable outcomes.
- Be flexible, adaptable and prepared to take on new challenges and work from other Atkins or client office locations.
- Have strong report writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Have experience of UK sustainability and environmental regulations, guidance and standards. Knowledge of international regulatory frameworks, guidance and standards would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with standards and methods for assessing and reporting on carbon performance of infrastructure projects would also be an advantage.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions such as IEMA, RTPI, LI, ICE, CIEEM, and CIWEM.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.