Technical Director - Carbon
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins are looking to appoint a Technical Director for Carbon. This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and ambitious individual to lead and grow our carbon team, and further develop the portfolio of services that we offer to our clients.
Your strong technical background in carbon management and accounting, carbon reduction strategies and thorough understanding of the net zero carbon agenda will help you understand client needs and challenges and help you form strong strategic relationships for the mutual benefit of Atkins and our clients.
As a major engineering, environmental and design consultancy, Atkins offers opportunities for talented consultants to work on a wide variety of high-profile projects. We are, for example, currently delivering carbon related projects for a range of clients in the water industry, highways sector, rail sector, aviation sector, local authorities and regulators.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.
Our Environment Practice is a vibrant network of people providing world class consultancy and advisory services. We care about outcomes for our clients and the unprecedented challenges they face – climate change, rapid urbanisation, consumerisation, economic uncertainty, security threats and technology-driven change. The work we do is important and influential, it shapes the way our clients think, enables them to make better decisions and to deliver their projects in a world of disruption and change. Great ideas come from great people when they collaborate – this is our core strength.
As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Your day to day activities will involve:
- Leading our strategic service line for carbon, positioning Atkins as No1 in the Net Zero sector
- Working with the wider Atkins team to develop our carbon value proposition
- Building pipeline and leading and supporting on work winning
- Leading the delivery of mandated carbon assessments on projects
- Working with our market teams to engage new and existing clients around carbon and sustainability, to understand current and future needs and opportunities and to ensure we communicate effectively the range of services can offer
- Share information with our market teams and senior leaders to allow them to communicate effectively around the services we offer and our corporate commitments on net zero.
- Providing thought leadership and marketing collateral to promote our corporate commitments to net zero internally and externally.
- Recognised expert in the field of net zero carbon performance
- Demonstrable experience in carbon assessment and/or management
- Track record of generating income from net zero products or services
- Experience in project management and technical leadership of projects.
- Ability to engage and enthuse staff and clients
- Excellent verbal communicator with the ability to present with confidence to a wide range of audiences and communicate technical concepts simply and clearly
- Skilled at collaborative working, have good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively
- Excellent writing skills - clarity in scientific writing is key. Able to adapt writing style to produce documents for different types of audience, including non-specialists.
- Be available to travel across the UK and occasionally overseas.
- Degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline, preferably relevant post-graduate qualification and a strong understanding of the net zero carbon agenda and the associated challenges for our clients
- Preferably chartered through an appropriate institution
You will have an excellent understanding of the consultancy sector, be a strong communicator (in writing and verbally), ability to present in an engaging manner. In addition, you will be required to lead bidding and work-winning activities. On an on-going basis, you’ll be supporting project managers and directors in delivering a range of projects, including strategic infrastructure projects where we may also provide an internally facing consultancy service.
We encourage the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy, and we ask you to explore the flexible working options during the interview process.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation), or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.