This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
Following our recent success in securing Highways England’s East of England Design Service Commission, we are looking for Technician to join our team in Cambridge and Bedford office.
About the Project
Atkins has been appointed by Highways England to deliver detailed design and associated consulting services for the asset improvement schemes planned for the east of England, helping to look after 1500 miles of strategic highways and over 2000 structures.
About the role
For a Technician position, you will need a good level of technical competence, in highway engineering design (renewals and improvements). You will ensure the technical quality of your work on projects forming part of a major portfolio of highway renewal and improvement works, embracing collaborative working and helping to drive cashable efficiencies for Highways England.
You will be responsible to an Assistant Engineer or Lead Technician for ensuring that your work is in accordance with the highest standards. There are multiple roles at this level, based across our core delivery offices (Highways England Offices in Bedford, Atkins office in Cambridge)
What you will be doing?
- Supporting Assistant Engineers and Senior Technicians
- Preparing engineering drawings
- Preparing word, excel and other documents as instructed from time to time
- Undertaking self-checking and maintaining high personal standards,
- Supporting team members and taking responsibility for your own work
- Compliance with Atkins quality systems and drawing standards
- Ensuring re-work on elements you have designed is minimised.
- Helping to maintain a good working environment
You’ll need to have
- BTech in Civil Engineering (or similar)
- Understanding with some experience in;
- The use of AutoCAD
- Small elements of highway design.
- Working in an Engineering Design environment
- Referring to technical standards such as the DMRB
- Contributing to the delivery of engineering projects.
- Detailing some typical elements of a highway engineering project
- Supporting other team members with their work.
- Working within a BIM2 and Common Data environment.
- The use of MS Word and MS Excel software
- You will be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- You will have an interest in helping to solve problems.
- You will demonstrate a high level of commitment and flexibility and be eager to accept responsibility and learn new skills
- You will act with integrity and professionalism, gaining the trust of colleagues
- You will be self-motivating with the ability to work on your own when necessary.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs