This vacancy has now expired... why not:
SNC-Lavalin Atkins is a leading provider of consultancy services to clients who are seeking to improve the efficiency, capacity, safety and value-for-money of their railway assets. Our Rail Infrastructure Systems business is one of six core Product Businesses within our Rail Consulting Practice and is an essential component of offering whole system, whole lifecycle services to our clients. We offer rail systems solutions across route and track, signalling and power engineering, complemented by rail construction management and civil engineering capability. Our assignments cover the earliest project stages of feasibility, concept planning, tender evaluations, through the design, build and implementation process and onto through life engineering support.
SNC-Lavalin Atkins Route Systems team is experienced across all phases of the project lifecycle working from project definition, through feasibility and development, design, project and construction management.
We specialise in buildings, structures and track in a rail environment and are conversant with the particular challenges of delivering complex civils construction schemes in an operational railway context. The typical types of schemes we undertake are station and depot developments both refurbishment and new build, and trackside civil engineering.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned
We are seeking a Track Design Engineer to join our expanding Route Systems team, based in London. The team currently provides track, civil and structural engineering design services, alongside project and construction management.
Your main work stream will involve the production and delivery of plain line and switches and crossings design packages and as such you should have good knowledge of all relevant industry standards. You should have an in-depth understanding of alignment design principles.
Reporting to the Design Team Leader, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Work alongside Senior Engineers to produce Permanent Way design packages from feasibility through to detailed design and construction support;
- Preparation of quality and professional reports, calculations, drawings and specifications in a timely manner and to agreed budget;
- Ability to self-check drawings to ensure accurate interpretation of Engineer's requirements and to minimise rework;
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues in other teams;
- Attend technical meetings with clients;
- Assist with technical development, innovation and use of best practice;
- Assist in the bid preparation;
- Comply with Quality, Safety and Environmental legislation and procedures;
- Embrace our company values of Safety, Integrity, Collaboration and Innovation.
Essential Experience & Skills
The key requirements, experience and skills for this role are:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering (Essential);
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a Rail Engineering role (Essential);
- Proficient in the use of MicroStation, Bentley Rail Track or MX Rail (Essential);
- Able to work to deadlines and prioritise work accordingly (Essential);
- Working knowledge of track surveying principles;
- Knowledge of Network Rail and London Underground processes and standards;
- Able to take a flexible approach to delivering projects and enjoy undertaking a wide range of engineering tasks in a busy team environment;
- Desire to undertake further learning and professional development, with support given by senior members of staff to allow the candidate to work towards an appropriate level of membership with the desired Institution (PWI / ICE)
Our Latest Articles