SNC-Lavalin Atkins is a leading provider of consultancy services to clients who are seeking to improve the efficiency, capacity, safety and value-for-money of their railway assets. Our Rail Infrastructure Systems business is one of three core Product Businesses within our Rail Consulting Practice and is an essential component of the offering whole system, whole lifecycle services to our clients. We offer rail systems solutions across route and track, signalling and power engineering, complemented by rail construction management and civil engineering capability. Our assignments cover the earliest project stages of feasibility, concept planning, tender evaluations, through the design, build and implementation process and onto through life engineering support.
SNC-Lavalin Atkins Route Systems team is experienced across all phases of the project lifecycle working from project definition, through feasibility and development, design and construction management.
We specialise in buildings, structures and track in a rail environment and are conversant with the particular challenges of delivering complex civils construction schemes in an operational railway context. The typical types of schemes we undertake are station and depot developments both refurbishment and new build, and trackside civil engineering.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
We are seeking a Permanent Way Engineer to join our expanding Route Systems team, based in London.
The team currently provides track, civil and structural engineering design services, alongside project and construction management.
Your main work stream will involve the production and delivery of plain line and switches and crossings design packages and as such you should have good knowledge of all relevant industry standards. You should have an in-depth understanding of alignment design principles.
Reporting to the Senior Track Engineer, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Work alongside a Senior Engineer to produce P-Way design packages from feasibility through to detailed design and construction support.
- Preparation of quality and professional reports, calculations, drawings and specifications in a timely manner and to agreed budget.
- Undertaking gauging assessments.
- Self-check of drawings to ensure accurate interpretation of Engineer's requirements and to minimise rework.
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues in other teams.
- Attend technical meetings with clients.
- Assist with technical development, innovation and use of best practice.
- Assist in the Bid preparation.
- Comply with Quality, Safety and Environmental legislation and procedures.
- Embrace our company values of Safety, Integrity, Collaboration and Innovation
Essential Experience & Skills:
The key requirements, experience and skills for this role are:
- BEng or MEng in Civil Engineering (A minimum of BTEC HNC/HND qualified in Civil Engineering) (Preferred).
- A minimum of 2 years experience in a permanent way engineering role (Essential).
- Proficient in the use of Microstation, Bentley Rail Track or MX Rail (Essential).
- Able to work to deadlines and prioritise work accordingly (Essential).
- Proficient in the use of ClearRoute2 gauging software (Preferred).
- Working knowledge of track surveying principles.
- Knowledge of Network Rail and London Underground processes and standards.
- Able to take a flexible approach to delivering projects and enjoy undertaking a wide range of engineering tasks in a busy team environment.
- Desire to undertake further learning and professional development, with support given by senior members of staff to allow the candidate to work towards an appropriate level of membership with the ICE.
We offer a professional but nurturing environment for you to better develop in your career whilst exposing you to a wide variety of Rail Infrastructure projects. We also offer competitive salaries, enhanced pension contributions, 33 days annual leave (including Bank Holidays), private medical and dental insurance, gym membership subsidies, flexible working hours and a host of other benefits supporting a range of lifestyles.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Shape a faster, smarter, safer future.Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we f
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It'
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs