Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Southfield, MI Team as a Traffic/ITS Engineer.
Serving in a project design production and support role under the general guidance and mentorship of experienced task leaders and project management staff.
Under supervision, applies technical professional proficiency to the investigation of engineering problems, the coordination of project activities, and the preparation of preliminary plans and documents.
On design assignments, progresses toward learning how to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications.
On engineering and planning assignments, continues to develop a knowledge of the fundamentals of engineering processes and to apply them successfully to operating systems.
On construction assignments, continues to develop
an understanding of construction methods and the translation of engineering plans and specifications into constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Performs ITS/Traffic Engineering and design assignments of a varied nature.
- Conduct and assist with ITS / connected vehicle design, signal timing optimization, traffic operational and safety studies, traffic modeling, signal designs, and develop drawings for traffic signals, signing and pavement markings for transportation projects.
- Perform traffic impact studies for new developments.
- Conduct field activities such as traffic counts, traffic observations, origin destination studies.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering. This level may be achieved by Engineers with 2 years' experience since B.S. or 1 year since M.S. The typical incumbent has 3 to 5 years' experience since bachelor’s degree.
- Technical writing, computer and communications skills required. CAD skills preferred.
- Applicable course work in Transportation/Traffic Engineering and/or Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Experience in use of traffic engineering software such as HCS, Synchro / SimTraffic, Vissim, and RODEL.
- AutoCAD or MicroStation experience preferred.
- Experience in development or implementation of traffic signal timing coordination / time-space diagrams.
- E.I. or EIT is usually required.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.