Traffic Management Specialist
Traffic Management Specialist
TOC Traffic Management Specialist
Why Join us?
We are hiring! Atkins seeks talented, committed individuals to join our team of Traffic Management Specialists (TMS) at the Traffic Operations Center in Ashville, NC. This role will manage traffic congestion on roadways throughout the state and respond to planned and unplanned traffic incidents including road work, vehicle crashes, and major adverse weather. TMS use an array of technologies to monitor and detect traffic incidents, to prevent and resolve traffic impacts, and to interface with emergency responders and the traveling public. The Traffic Operations Center (TOC) is a communications hub and emergency response facility. Successful TMS are complex problem-solvers and dedicated public servants.
TMS work under supervision but must be capable of directing their own work in accordance with their training and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). TMS also work in a team environment and must be able to communicate clearly and take direction in real-time. A typical day is comprised of regularly scheduled tasks and unscheduled incident response activities. TMS must possess good time management skills and maintain continuous, situational awareness while on duty. TMS regularly engage with numerous internal/external partners and must be able to communicate confidently and professionally. Most TOC team members began their traffic ops careers in the TMS role. TMS who are reliable, proficient, and focused will find many avenues for learning and opportunities for career advancement.
We are currently hiring for TMS on either 1st Shift (6 AM – 2 PM) or 2nd Shift (2 PM – 10 PM). Interested candidates must be able to work at least one of these shifts. Due to the nature of our industry, candidates must be willing to work outside of their normal shift hours, including weekends and holidays as needed. Initial TOC training occurs during the first 6-8 weeks of employment and will be administered 9 AM – 5 PM, Monday through Friday. After initial training, TMS will transition to their assigned shift.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering, and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Detect and monitor traffic incidents using congestion maps, traffic cameras, responder radios and other technologies.
- Determine the appropriate response to traffic incidents by assessing incident characteristics, traffic impacts, available resources, and other factors.
- Document incident details, response activity, and other critical data in real-time.
- Publish incident details on the DriveNC.gov website and create other traveler information to help motorists avoid impacted roadways.
- Activate electronic roadside message boards to warn motorists of hazardous travel conditions and to reroute traffic around affected areas.
- Actively seek out incident details and relay critical intel to NCDOT and other emergency responders in real-time.
- Dispatch NCDOT’s incident management assistance patrol (IMAP) and coordinate with NCDOT field staff including maintenance and traffic signal technicians.
- Manage statewide alerts for missing persons (Amber & Silver Alerts) and law enforcement alerts (Blue & Fugitive Alerts).
- Handle mass intake and output of weather information and roadway conditions during major adverse weather events including Hurricanes and Tropical Storms.
- Coordinate with DOT agencies from other states and serve as primary point of contact for NC traffic operations.
- Research, identify and review planned construction, maintenance, and special events and activities as required.
- Execute response plans for planned events and unplanned incidents.
- Perform routine device and systems tests to support timely repairs and overall system health.
- May perform other assignments as the Supervisor may deem necessary from time to time.
What will you contribute?
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
- Must complete initial TOC training within 6-8 weeks of employment
- Six months related experience in dispatch center or 911 operations or other emergency operations experience is preferred.
- Must be proficient with computer skills.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills required
- Must have good command of the English language.
- Ability to perform in a professional, courteous manner and remain friendly while under pressure.
- Must have an aptitude for geography and maps.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs