Traffic Operations Center Assistant Traffic Assistant
Traffic Operations Center Assistant Traffic Assistant
Assistant Traffic Specialist (ATS)
Why Join us?
We are hiring! Atkins seeks talented, committed individuals to join our team in Charlotte, NC as a Traffic Operations Center Assistant Traffic Specialist. This role will provide technical support for their center which is responsible for managing traffic congestion on roadways throughout the state and responding to planned and unplanned traffic incidents including road work, vehicle crashes, and major adverse weather. TOC staff use an array of technologies to monitor and detect traffic incidents, to prevent and resolve traffic impacts, and to interface with emergency responders and the traveling public. The TOC is a 24/7/365 communications hub and emergency response facility. Successful Assistant Traffic Specialists are organized, detail oriented, and capable of solving complex problems.
Assistant Traffic Specialists (ATS) report to the Traffic Specialist in Raleigh but must be capable of directing their own work. ATS analyze planned and unplanned traffic impacts in order to develop effective resources that will support their TOC’s response capabilities. ATS are also expected to provide hands-on support in the control room to assist with major incident response in real-time. A typical day is comprised of regularly scheduled tasks and unscheduled incident response activities. ATS must possess good time management and organizational skills while maintaining the flexibility required to adapt to shifting priorities. ATS work closely with internal/external partners and must be clear, effective communicators who reliably follow-through on their commitments.
ATS typically work Monday-Friday but must be willing to work during the hours established by the Traffic Specialist (e.g. 7am-3pm, 9am-5pm, 11am-7pm, etc.). Due to the nature of our industry and the TOC’s 24/7/365 hours of operation, candidates must be willing to work weekends and holidays as needed. ATS must be reachable by phone 24/7/365.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering, and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the TOC team?
- Analyze planned/unplanned events, traffic data, road geometrics, construction plans, and other inputs to understand and plan for traffic impacts and mitigation strategies.
- Develop and maintain response plans and other resources to support TOC staff’s ability to respond to planned/unplanned traffic events effectively.
- Deliver comprehensive and accurate reports to help communicate and track various performance levels and roadway trends.
- Perform regular quality assurance activities to support the TOC’s overall quality assurance program.
- Provide recommendations to internal/external stakeholders on technology requirements, traffic routing strategies, and incident/event response measures.
- Interface with major construction project stakeholders and provide regular support related to the management and operations of major work zones.
- Develop traveler information – including messaging for NCDOT’s electronic message boards – to effectively influence motorists’ driving behavior.
- Perform regular tests on various devices and systems to support consistent functionality of essential resources.
- Provide direct, real-time support for major incidents/events as needed to include implementation of tasks typically associated with TOC control room staff.
- Complete other duties and tasks as directed by the Traffic Specialist or other leadership staff.
What will you contribute?
- High School diploma (or equivalent) required.
- Two years’ administrative or technical work experience required.
- One-year experience as supervisor fill-in is preferred.
- External applicants must complete TOC training within 6-8 weeks of employment.
- Data analysis, response plan development, logistical experience in a TOC or other similar environments including dispatch centers, 911 operations, or other emergency operations is preferred.
- Must be proficient with computer skills.
- Must have a good command of the English language.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to produce polished, effective materials in multiple formats (e.g. reports, presentations, graphics, spreadsheets, etc.) required.
- Ability to perform in a professional, courteous manner and remain friendly while under pressure.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs