Traffic Operations Center Trainer
Traffic Operations Center Trainer
Traffic Operations Center Trainer
Why Join us?
We are hiring! Atkins seeks a talented, committed individual to join our team in Raleigh, NC as a Traffic Operations Center Trainer. This role will support training and personnel development for the statewide and regional Traffic Operations Centers which are responsible for managing traffic congestion on roadways throughout the state and responding to planned and unplanned traffic incidents including road work, vehicle crashes, and major adverse weather. TOC staff use an array of technologies to monitor and detect traffic incidents, to prevent and resolve traffic impacts, and to interface with emergency responders and the traveling public. TOCs are 24/7/365 communications hubs and emergency response facilities. Successful Trainers are organized professionals who possess strong interpersonal skills and an abiding commitment to help others grow.
TOC Trainers report to the Statewide Operations Manager (OM) in Raleigh but must be capable of directing their own work. Trainers deliver formal training and as-needed coaching to equip control room staff with the essential knowledge and skills required to perform effectively. Trainers also develop and maintain training materials and standard operating procedures (SOPs). Trainers are expected to provide hands-on support in the control room to assist with major incident response in real-time. A typical day is comprised of regularly scheduled tasks and unscheduled incident response activities. Trainers must possess good time management and organizational skills and while maintaining the flexibility required to adapt to shifting priorities. Trainers work closely with partners and staff with diverse backgrounds and learning styles. Therefore, Trainers must be clear, effective communicators capable of leveraging multiple communication strategies.
TOC Trainers will be based out of the TOC in Raleigh but will support training each regional TOC (Greensboro, Charlotte, and Triad) and the statewide TOC in Raleigh. Short-term travel to other centers will be rare but is required when needed. Applicants must indicate any travel limitations. Trainers typically work 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday but must be willing to work during hours necessary to support training. Due to the nature of our industry and the TOC’s 24/7/365 hours of operation, candidates must be willing to work weekends and holidays as needed.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering, and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Deliver formal TOC training according to the TOC training program and direction from the Statewide OM or NCDOT leadership.
- Lead on-the-job training (OJT) and coordinate with control room staff to ensure OJT time is spent productively.
- Provide hands-on coaching or refresher training to further develop skills and/or to correct skills/performance gaps.
- Deliver re-occurring training to support periodic recertification requirements.
- Support new employee on-boarding including new accounts creation/access, completion of required forms, and archival of training records.
- Work with TOC leadership, Supervisors, and other control room staff to identify and prioritize training needs.
- Coordinate with trainees, leadership, and other stakeholders to plan for, schedule, and deliver training (including ad-hoc training).
- Develop and maintain the materials, equipment, learning spaces, and other resources associated with TOC training.
- Support planning and development of ad-hoc training required to implement new tools, TOC services, etc.
- Support the production and maintenance of TOC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Provide reports as-needed to communicate training progress and other trends relative to staff development.
- Provide direct, real-time support for major incidents/events as needed to include implementation of tasks typically associated with TOC control room staff.
- Complete other duties and tasks as directed by the Statewide OM.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field plus two years in human performance improvement, training development, and or training program implementation in a corporate setting.
- Without Bachelor’s degree, ten years of relevant business experience in a corporate setting or direct training experience in a traffic operations center, dispatch center or 911 operations required.
- External applicants must complete TOC training within 6-8 weeks of employment.
- Must be proficient with computer skills.
- Must have a good command of the English language.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to produce polished, effective materials in multiple formats (e.g. presentations, graphics, text documents, etc.) required.
- Ability to perform in a professional, courteous manner and remain friendly while under pressure.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Paid Time Off (PTO
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs