Traffic Signal Timing Engineer
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Columbia, SC staff and have the opportunity to work at a regional Traffic Management Center as a Traffic Signal Timing Engineer.
Under direction, applies technical professional competency in Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) technology to the investigation of transportation planning, engineering and operational needs and problems, the coordination of ITS project activities, and the preparation of preliminary plans and documents. Carries out job functions within small,
project-oriented, multidisciplinary teams of ITS professionals and supports direct interaction with clients within the context of project progress meetings, design reviews, operations, and project production and delivery. Major results expected include high-quality written, verbal, and graphical deliverables in the form of operational concepts, technology reviews, designs, and specifications.
- Performs work that involves the application of leading-edge information and communication technologies to transportation planning, engineering, and operations. Conducts investigations, surveys, requirements definition and technology reviews in the process of carrying out diversified projects or phases of a single project with a number of complex features, requiring the use of analysis, interpretation, and deductive reasoning.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. degree in Civil Engineering or an ITS-related subject such as Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Transportation Planning, Economics, Business, Law, or Information Technology. ITS-related Master's degree can substitute for one year of experience.
- This level may be achieved by candidates with four (4) years’ experience since Bachelor’s or three (3) years since Masters’ degree. Relevant work experience would include information and communication technologies and/or ITS, such as fiber-optic communication design, video systems engineering, traveler information, electronic payment, computer hardware and software, or traffic control systems.
- Strong technical writing and communications skills essential, including ability to present concepts verbally.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access is required.
- PE license is preferred.
- This is an embedded position at South Carolina traffic management center to provide traffic signal timing on multiple corridors.
- IMSA Signal Level 2 certification preferred.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles