Traffic Signals Engineer - Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technologies
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Intelligent Mobility is a top priority area for the company’s growth strategy. When you join our Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology team you’ll become a key player in transforming the future of transport. We are a growing practice of around 80 engineers, consultants and technical specialists transforming the future of transport.
We work with emerging technologies to push the boundaries of transportation and drive innovation. Our projects range from smart cities and driverless cars to data exploitation, journey management, roads of the future and urban / inter-urban traffic management and technology. Our investment in improving transport technologies will change how we will make journeys in the future.
Our team need to look at challenges very differently to connect people and places in exciting new ways, and this requires a huge variety of skills and capabilities, including specialists in connected and autonomous technologies, demand management, traffic signalling, cyber security, human factors, mobility as a service, big data and more. Providing simple solutions to complex problems, it’s an exciting journey and you can play a lead role.
This role presents a unique opportunity to join a dynamic team, to play a leading role in building and executing our plan for the future. You will contribute to our IM Strategy through technical excellence and high-quality project delivery.
It will necessitate ambition, creativity, technical knowledge and excellent project delivery experience in the traffic signal sector. The role will be based in Bristol or Cardiff office and report to the Bristol Team leader. Although the focus of work will be in South West of England and South Wales, the role may also include undertaking and developing schemes both in the UK and overseas.
Locations: GB.Bristol. The Hub, GB.Epsom. The Wells, GB.Manchester. The Exchange, GB.Nottingham. Broadgate House
Key areas of responsibility will include:
• Undertaking design and review of traffic signal schemes from inception to operation, including site surveys, detailed design, installation, FAT, SAT and validation
• Monitoring your own project work to ensure delivery to budget, time and quality
• Liaison with clients with the ability to discuss all aspects of existing and future projects
• Project management of sub-tasks within a project or taking a project support role on larger projects
• Identification and development of project opportunities, road network improvements and added value in existing projects
• Responsibility for delivering and reviewing high quality technical reports
• Preparation of cost estimates and scope
• Actively raising project risks and issues
• Carrying out research and analysis, providing well founded conclusions and recommendations
• Developing commercial knowledge and input into cost models and budgets
• Contributing to business case development with decreasing support
• Contributing to value proposition development with decreasing support
Required Skills & Experience:
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• Knowledge of the technology and applications of traffic signal design including the use of CAD
• In depth experience of:
o the design, operation, configuration and validation of UTC/SCOOT
o traffic signal controller operation, TR2500 form and/or configuration writing
o FAT and SAT
• Good experience of MOVA design, configuration and validation
• Evidence of supporting good client engagement/contact
• Ability to demonstrate good communication skills with a range of stakeholders including presentations and client meetings
• Able to win client confidence and develop effective client relationships
• Proven ability to learn new skills and rapidly understand complex technical projects
• Ability to deliver outputs on multiple projects for various clients
• Excellent problem-solving skills and able to demonstrate innovative processes and products
• Business development
• Strong awareness of Health and Safety issues and CDM
• Holds appropriate qualifications
• Able to work as part of a team across diverse skill sets building effective networks
• Holds a full car driving license
• Traffic modelling experience
• Experience of design or operation of other ITS infrastructure
• Familiar with a wide range of ITS technologies, including UTMC, journey time measurement, VMS, CCTV, RTPI
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate evidence of:
• Ability to show initiative and examples of creativity
• An analytical and numerate problem-solver with the capacity to think complex issues through and develop effective solutions in a timely fashion
• A resourceful, articulate verbal and written communicator
• A driven individual, with a record of accomplishment of achieving targets
• A strong presenter
• A natural team player, highly-motivated and ambitious for the success of the team
• Able to manage priorities in a high-pressure environment
• Ability to assist and guide less experienced staff on technical delivery and project management
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles