Transit Project Director
Transit Project Director
Transit Project Director
Why join us?
We are hiring! The Transit Project Director will be based out of our Ft. Lauderdale, Florida office and reports to our Sector Manager. Under general direction, manages very complex and unconventional technology or delivery systems for specific and corporately significant clients. May involve the management of multiple projects in a specific delivery system. Responsible for the financial performance of projects of considerable magnitude and risk to the Company. Typical projects might include major construction management engagements, design-build projects of national significance, design-build-operate- maintain undertakings, Light Rail and Bus Rapid Transit design and implementation, or large environmental studies requiring specialized knowledge and abilities. Responsible for mentoring project staff associated with highly sophisticated and unconventional projects. Projects of this magnitude generally involve over $5 million annually in net revenue and require very specialized expertise or experience of the individual.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- INTERNAL STAFF ADMINISTRATION. Assists management team in identifying staffing needs based on future workload and manpower projections for project staffing. Reviews managers' recommendations to recruit, hire, transfer, or terminate project staff; approves/disapproves or endorses recommendations, and presents to senior management for approval as required by established authorization guidelines. Reviews and makes decision on recommendations for salary offers for new hire candidates, as well as salary and position adjustment actions for project staff, subject to senior management review and approval. Approves personnel actions as established by authorization guidelines. Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with management staff within assigned project. Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development. Identifies and nurtures potential future project management leaders within existing staff to promote expansion of services. Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and project objectives/needs. Advises project staff concerning company policies and procedures; monitors and enforces compliance.
- PROJECT PRODUCTION AND MANAGEMENT. Assists project staff in developing work plans; reviews and approves schedules, budgets, project milestone dates, and work products. Works closely with the internal technical professionals to staff projects based on client/project needs. Oversees financial performance of projects; assists project staff in identifying potential problems to ensure remedial actions are promptly taken to avoid financial losses and client dissatisfaction. Manages or provides oversight on a portfolio of projects or capital program(s) of significant size and complexity and significant financial impact. Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the project. Reviews QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits. Assists assigned project staff in facilitating work sharing with other operating units. Secures resource support from other operating units. Establishes work sharing commitments and negotiates outsourcing budgets with technical managers. Interacts with executive level government or public officials and/or executive level clients on significant program matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- MARKETING AND CLIENT MAINTENANCE. Responsible for maintaining positive client relations with existing clients and building new relationships with others. Serves as the single point of contact to the client and acts as a liaison between management and clients on advanced program related issues. Prepares and delivers presentations on behalf and in support of the client’s program. Develops, implements, and monitors annual and strategic marketing plans for targeted projects; participates in the development of Strategic Plan. Actively pursues, investigates, and evaluates new or expanded opportunities for associated projects and services within the firm by maintaining contacts with current and prospective client decision makers; identifies and works toward the resolution of client relations problems. Reviews proposals and selects interview teams; reviews and recommends project marketing budgets subject to approval by senior management. Maintains visibility and professional courtesy by actively participating in civic and professional organizations and encourages project staff to do the same. Maintains regional/national prominence and recognition through published technical work and/or presentation of papers at national or regional technical conferences.
- CONTRACTS AND FINANCIAL. Conducts contract negotiations with clients and sub-consultants. Develops and recommends operational budgets for approval by senior management. Reviews and makes decision on proposed project budgets. Monitors monthly performance against budget to ensure project profitability. Manages the project as a profit center; controls G&A costs; reviews and manages revenue stream. Approves purchase requests for capital items as specified in the Authorization Matrix. Manages accounts receivables and client billings; reviews and makes decision concerning final write-offs and past due accounts receivables as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field. Graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- Florida registration as a Professional Engineer is required or ability to obtain reciprocity within 6 months.
- This level may be achieved by technical professionals or managers with twelve years of experience since B.S. or eleven years since M.S., with at least three of these years in the Senior Project Manager position with highly complex project management responsibility.
- Experience in Rail/Transit Program Management is required.
- Previous FTA project experience is preferred.
- Experience with $500MM or above programs is preferred.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencies
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs