Transportation/Civil Technical Practice Director
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
- Directs and oversees the assignments, activities, and resources of a practice center housed within the company’s Technical Professional Organization (TPO). Provides leadership, direction and guidance to technical directors and managers within an assigned practice center to ensure proper staffing and resource allocation to projects.
- Additionally, the Sr. Practice Director is responsible for driving a culture of technical excellence throughout the practice by providing opportunities for growth and development of technical staff and ensuring sound quality control and safety procedures are employed by all staff.
- Actively works with both business unit directors and sales directors to develop and implement strategy and to identify opportunities for staffing projects, pursuits, and to encourage cross-selling.
- The practice director is the most senior technical discipline manager within the TPO.
- Staff Administration: Participates in the selection of candidates for senior level positions within practice center. Reviews and approves personnel actions recommended by technical directors and resource managers. Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions for direct reports. Promotes effective performance management and career development practices throughout practice center to ensure all employees reach highest possible performance level, job satisfaction, and commitment. Maintains high employee morale through personal leadership and frequent communication with individuals at all job levels. Ensures compliance with policies and procedures throughout the practice center.
- Project Production and Management: Monitors and oversees project activities throughout practice center, to ensure that high quality standards and productivity levels are maintained, and to keep abreast of project status. Approves project work plans, schedules and budgets. Oversees performance of projects being produced and/or managed within practice center. Directs immediate remedial actions to avoid financial losses and client dissatisfaction. Directs an effective quality control/quality assurance program within practice center. Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout practice center. Leads and assists managers within the practice center in the selection of methods and in the solution of technical problems; assists in resolving problems concerning work across the business units. May direct special projects where incumbent's recognized technical expertise is required in the selection of methods and/or in the solution of technical problems.
- Marketing and Client Maintenance: Works with business unit directors and sales directors to develop strategy for utilization and growth for the practice center. In conjunction with sales directors, plans and develops strategies for the effective and economical penetration of potential/existing markets and business lines for the practice center. May participates in the investigation/due diligence process of possible acquisitions. Maintains contacts with primary current and prospective clients, including initial contacts presentations, negotiating agreements, keeping client apprised of work progress, and ensuring client's satisfaction; identifies and works toward the resolution of client relations problems. Represents the firm at appropriate industrial, professional, technical, civic, and government circles to enhance company image and communicate its capabilities. Attends and/or plays a leadership role in professional/technical associations; encourages participation of staff to promote the firm's name as well as to maintain state-of-the-art knowledge of professional discipline.
- Contracts and Financial: May assist sales director and project manager in contract negotiations with clients and sub consultants as it relates to billing rates of assigned staff. With technical directors, develops and recommends operating unit budget for approval by TPO Director and senior management. Monitors monthly operating unit performance against budget. Approves purchase requests for capital items as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
- May perform other duties as the Supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
- COMPLEXITY (Variety or uniqueness of tasks; relative difficulty or importance of work performed; size of unit supported, etc.): Manages the staff, operations, and contributes to business development activities of a practice center with multiple operating units in multiple locations. Typically responsible for the performance of a practice center with over 100 staff.
- DECISION-MAKING (Supervision received; independent judgment or initiative; consequence of error): Works independently under general guidance. Approves operating budgets and high level personnel actions. Consults with supervisor on exceptions to budget and departures from strategic plan. Accountable for practice center growth, staff performance, and overall results.
- WORK DIRECTION GIVEN TO OTHERS (Titles and number of personnel; type of direction given): Gives direct supervision to technical directors, resource managers, and administrative personnel. Responsible for performance management and career development of direct reports; ensures program implementation throughout practice center.
- INTERNAL CONTACTS (Required interaction/relationship with others within the organization):Interfaces with TPO Director, BU Directors, BD&S Directors, other Practice Directors, and senior technical professionals and other management/leadership throughout company.
- EXTERNAL CONTACTS (Required interaction/relationship with others outside the organization): Represents the organization in a leadership role to primary clients and key public officials. Maintains and develops relationships with key clients and prospective clients.
- Bachelor's degree in field of practice.
- Post-graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- This level may be achieved by technical professionals or technical managers with 18 years of experience since B.S., with at least five of these years in a senior operating management position.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills. Proven ability to manage large scope operations and provide leadership to multiple levels of management.
- Must have business vision, excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to staff, clients, and the community in general.
- Promote high performance and consistent accountability at all levels within the TPO.
- Professional registration in field of practice is required, if available, i.e., P.E., P.G., PLS, R.A., or RLA.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.