Transportation – Digital Asset Management Graduate Scheme (2019)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Do you want to work on some of the most prestigious, innovative and demanding construction projects within the transportation sector? From Crossrail to HS2, to managing the M25 and construction of a new motorway around Newport to ease congestion and on to London’s Heathrow Airport and the London Underground network.
In Digital Asset Management, we help our road, rail, water and energy customers to get the most out of their infrastructure assets. We provide the information they need to make key plans and decisions about the future, such as when to invest in their assets and what maintenance activities to prioritise. We help clients understand their data and bring it to life, using tools such as FME and Tableau.
We also advise clients on the implementation of national guidance and best practice, such as the uptake of risk-based approaches to asset management. This often involves working closely with clients to understand their needs and aspirations, followed by developing and implementing improvement or transformation plans. The projects we work on are varied, dynamic and stimulating, providing plenty of opportunity for new challenges and personal growth.
Our practice operates where the digital world collides with our physical environment and as a result we're facing a wave of opportunity to use our skills in new ways. Our team is responding by growing and shaping the future of transportation. We welcome applications from a broad range of degree disciplines, so whatever your background, you can enjoy some fantastic opportunities as part of our team.
Career Story - Marshel Weerakone talks about his graduate journey in his own words, with his own camera!
What you’ll be doing
The sub-roles below describe in more detail the work you will be doing when you join our team. These are not rigid work descriptions, as our team works across disciplines to deliver great services to our clients. If one or more of these appeal to you, we would love to hear from you.
• Providing advice to infrastructure owners in the development of their asset management policies, strategies, and overall improvement plans to achieve efficient asset management
• Providing technical and contractual advice to Local Authorities, Department for Transport and Strategic Transport Authorities across the UK
• Working with infrastructure owners to help them assess risk and improve the resilience of their networks and their assets
• Developing and producing national asset management guidance
• Working as part of strategic change, service redesign or improvement programmes focused on asset management
• Working with strategic and local transport authorities to better understand the value of the assets they own
• Improve data-led decision making and to challenge current ways of working with our own digital tools and approaches
• Development and implementation of new approaches to management, use and application of data and software
• Data analysis, evaluation, and reporting
• Interpretation and write-up of analysis results
Rail Asset Management:
• Working at national and route level with a range of rail clients to influence asset management approaches, planning and delivery
• Playing an active delivery role in developing new approaches to data collection, interpretation and influencing better client decisions
• Data analysis, evaluation, and reporting
• Strategic support to key clients supporting changes in their asset management approaches, change programmes and maintenance planning
• Pavement Team
- Detailed pavement design delivering lowest whole life cost
- Pavement rehabilitation assessment
- Research & development in materials performance
- Development of asset management approaches for pavements
- Implementation of decision support tools and lifecycle planning
• Structures Team
- Development of structures asset management approaches, guidance and strategy
- Innovation in inspection, understanding and decision support tools
• Development of asset management technical excellence to support consultancy projects
• UK-wide travel to our client’s offices or other Atkins locations to collaborate on project delivery
• Occasional site work, such as data collection or supervision of construction or maintenance activities
All our roles involve engaging with clients and contributing to tenders and business development activities. Some of our graduates also choose to become involved in project management, assisting with activities such as budgeting, allocation of resources and financial monitoring.
Where you’ll be based
Atkins Transportation have teams based across the UK:
North – Manchester
Midlands – Birmingham, Derby
South East – Cambridge, Croydon
South West – Bristol
Who we’re looking for
• Achieved or on track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in Civil Engineering, Maths, Economics or Computer Science.
• An interest in and a willingness to embrace digital technologies, recognising opportunities where they can help us and our clients work more efficiently
• Passionate about helping clients make better informed, data-driven decisions, applying the latest analytical and digital tools
• Prepared to thrive in a busy, innovative and challenging environment
• Drive and determination to achieve professional qualifications, such as Chartered Status (for example with the ICE, CIHT) or membership of other professional bodies
• Confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
• A good communicator who can analyse problems, create innovative solutions and manage your time effectively
• A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and occasionally abroad
• Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, as some roles may involve working on site
Having taken on a minimum of 250 graduates consistently every year for the past 5 years, with the aspiration of recruiting 500 graduates this year, Atkins prides itself on a strong graduate community, that gives our graduates a voice. To get a real feel for our graduate culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform or take a look #insideatkins
Like us on Facebook: InsideAtkins
Follow us on Twitter: @InsideAtkins
Add us on Snapchat: AtkinsNextGen
Follow us on Instagram: atkins_global
Follow us on LinkedIn: Atkins
Watch us on YouTube: Early Careers
Rewards & Benefits
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations. As you move through our structured development programme and experience the breadth of our expertise, you could take your career in any number of different directions, working on some of the most technically challenging projects of our generation. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include;
• A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
• Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership/accreditation bonus of £2,500 once attained
• A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training.
• 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year
• 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
• Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations
• Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities
For a full list of our benefits, please click here.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please select the ‘apply now’ button below. Full guidance on our application process can be found here. Please note that some roles may be available for immediate start.
Our deadline for applications is Monday 22nd April 2019. Due to the popularity of some of our programmes we may shut before this deadline, therefore to avoid disappointment we would advise applying as early as possible.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.