Transportation - Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Graduate Scheme (2019)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Do you want to work on some of the most prestigious, innovative and demanding construction projects within the transportation sector? From Crossrail to HS2, to managing the M25 and construction of a new motorway around Newport to ease congestion and on to London’s Heathrow Airport and the London Underground network.
As one of the world’s leading transportation contractors providing design consultancy and construction services to many of the UK’s largest clients and major contractors our cutting-edge independent advice and innovative design enables our clients to turn ideas into reality and deliver their most important transportation projects and programmes. You can help us lead the way.
As transport infrastructures experience unprecedented investment, we’re building the sustainable, integrated transport network of the future. From high-speed rail and city metros to smart motorways and driverless cars, we deliver the solutions that keep the world moving.
Join our transportation team and you’ll help us to take on technically challenging engineering projects from HS2 to smart motorway schemes. You’ll develop industry skills that are highly sought after and learn to become a future business leader.
What you’ll be doing
As a Mechanical or Electrical Engineering graduate you’ll be joining one of the following locations/teams:
Rail Vehicles (Rail Consultancy)
Our Rail Vehicle Consultancy provides engineering and management expertise to rail vehicle owners, operators, maintainers, manufactures and regulators of rolling stock. The team has knowledge and experience of traction and rolling stock ranging from technical skills in design, construction and maintenance to strategic and project management.
Transport Technology (Rail Consultancy)
Atkins Transportation business is currently expanding our team of Railway Systems Technology Consultants. We are looking for experienced professionals that have enthusiasm and experience in applying consultancy solutions in a railway technology context particularly in ERTMS / ETCS, CBTC and TMS areas. Your responsibilities will include preparation of bids, acting as project manager / engineer and leading suitable tasks with minimal supervision. Projects involve advising and supporting clients in the evaluation and deployment of technology on the mainline rail network and mass transit systems both within the UK and internationally. Our team assists public sector organisations in a wide number of activities, across the life cycle of a project
Energy Systems - Overhead Line (OLE) Systems
Our overhead line equipment team is predominately made up of mechanical engineers that provide design solutions for the structural and mechanical aspects of 25Kv AC Railway Electrification. They have capability from first principle system design through to volume output allocation design, including site design and installation support.
• Develop your skills working on a variety of rail and highways projects, providing technical solutions
• Become familiar with infrastructure terms and processes, across a wide range of disciplines
• Prepare and check project designs, drawings, assessment calculations, reports and contract documents
• Become a trusted adviser to our clients, working collaboratively with suppliers, contractors, the public and multidisciplinary teams.
Who we’re looking for
You’ll be a talented graduate with a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Telecommunications, Physics, Control Systems Engineering or Power Systems Engineering.
We also require:
• Drive and determination to achieve Chartered Status
• Confidence working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
• A good communicator who can analyse problems, create innovative solutions and manage your time effectively
• A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
• Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, as some roles may involve working out on site
Having taken on a minimum of 250 graduates consistently every year for the past 5 years, with the aspiration of recruiting 500 graduates this year, Atkins prides itself on a strong graduate community, that gives our graduates a voice. To get a real feel for our graduate culture or learn about what makes life at Atkins so great – just select the handle from your favourite social media platform or take a look #insideatkins
Like us on Facebook: InsideAtkins
Follow us on Twitter: @InsideAtkins
Add us on Snapchat: AtkinsNextGen
Follow us on Instagram: atkins_global
Follow us on LinkedIn: Atkins
Watch us on YouTube: Early Careers
Rewards & Benefits
When you join our Transportation team, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you feel proud of. You will be part of an international team, making a real difference to the world around you and leaving a lasting legacy for future generations. As you move through our structured development programme and experience the breadth of our expertise, you could take your career in any number of different directions, working on some of the most technically challenging projects of our generation. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include;
• A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
• Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership/accreditation bonus of £2,500 once attained
• A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training.
• 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year
• 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
• Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations
• Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities
For a full list of our benefits, please click here.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please select the ‘apply now’ button below. Full guidance on our application process can be found here. Please note that some roles may be available for immediate start.
Our deadline for applications is Monday 22nd April 2019. Due to the popularity of some of our programmes we may shut before this deadline, therefore to avoid disappointment we would advise applying as early as possible.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.