Utility Consultant - Bristol
Utility Consultant - Bristol
Utility Consultant - Bristol
As part of our Utility Solutions capability, this is an opportunity for an experienced consultant to support our broad client base with multi-utility consultancy services, helping them effectively plan and execute construction projects. Working to a high level of accuracy, the role is focused on all aspects of Utility Consultancy, from understanding onsite constraints, procuring and planning diversionary works and arranging for connections to new developments.
The role involves working on behalf of clients from a wide range of sectors on projects ranging from residential and commercial developments through to major highways and infrastructure schemes, with tasks covering the entirety of a project’s lifecycle, from feasibility and planning stage through to build and implementation.
The successful candidate will be a natural networker, and will work alongside our business development teams to grow and expand client relationships.
This full-time role will be based in our Bristol office, with immediate working arrangements being home based in line with government guidelines.
- A solid and thorough understanding of and experience in working in the utility industry, preferably in a business-to-business service delivery environment.
- Experience in technical aspects of utility works, including loading calculations, network reinforcement and design, along with the ability to understand the impact of utility constraints on a scheme.
- A firm grounding in client-facing consultancy, an ability to manage lines of communication with a wide range of stakeholders.
- A thorough understanding of the UK utility market and associated regulatory framework, including competition in connections.
- Experience of working in a utility procurement and management role, or a background in fulfilling such a role working for a house builder or developer
- Have an understanding or experience of working in the engineering industry
- The ability to demonstrate knowledge of renewable technologies in terms of utility connections and considerations for developer connections
- An appreciation of relevant legislation, including the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 as well as other guidance that are specific to the utility sector such as HAUC, HSG47 etc.
- Ability to deliver value to clients through effective and proactive project management
- Demonstrable experience with accurate report writing, conveying technically complex scenarios and solutions
- Able to work as part of a multidisciplinary project team
- Computer literate, and experienced in all Microsoft applications
- Full driving license.
- Detailed knowledge of the prescribed processes for procuring utility works
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and other GIS systems/drawing software
- CSCS card holder at site operative or regular site visitor level
- Hold, or be working towards a degree and/or an equivalent professional qualification in an engineering, project management or similar.
- Interpreting client utility requirements and understanding scheme drawings
- Presenting client schemes to relevant utilities and procuring relevant costs and designs
- Reviewing utility designs against client designs, to identify potential risks and savings
- Challenging utility costs where appropriate
- Be able to interpret client proposals and consider the impact on existing utility assets
- Calculating anticipated load requirements for a range of building types
- To evaluate utility assets as shown on utility record drawings and prepare feasibility assessments against client proposals
- Simultaneously managing numerous projects, chasing utilities for responses to ensure project milestones are met
- Writing detailed, accurate reports
- When the situation allows, attendance at client design meetings and co-ordination of multiple utilities on-site to enable best value solutions to be implemented
- Advising on procurement strategies for new utility connections, diversionary works and disconnections
- Coordination of utility works on behalf of clients, ensuring that works are completed in line with client programs
- Assessing utility plans and undertaking feasibility studies, identifying risk areas and potential costs
- Performing the coordination of technical aspects of utility works between the client and the utility companies
- Advising clients on ways to minimize risks to their project arising from utility matters
- Managing the utility aspects of projects with a range of values and requirements
- Attending design and progress meetings with utility companies and clients, at times on active building sites
- Liaison with utility companies with regards to obtaining utility easement and wayleave information
- Undertaking NRSWA 1991 C1-C9 processes
- Accurate and thorough while being able to manage workload effectively, at times working to deliver outputs within strict deadlines/programmes.
- Problem solver with an ability to identify and proactively manage problems and suggest considered solutions.
- Adaptable and optimistic approach towards a varying workload, as well as change and evolution.
- A clear and thorough communication style, competent communicating at all levels.
- Attention to detail and work with the minimum of supervision
- Able to work as a member of a team, as well as individually
- Highly motivated, positive personality
- Conscientious, customer focused and a good communicator both verbally and written
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions. On the job training will be delivered to ensure that the successful candidate is comfortable with the domain in which they would be working.
Atkins offers a fantastic range of benefits, which you can tailor to suit your own health, wellbeing, financial and lifestyle choices.
All the information you need to know is available on our dedicated benefits portal; your reward, which is available to access 24/7 from any device:
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs