Vehicle Maintenance Manager
Here at SNC-Lavalin’s Ottawa office, we believe in developing our employees to their utmost potential. We promote teamwork and collaboration, which is why our culture speaks for itself; our people are motivated to give their best and have a sense of personal fulfillment. Each member of our team is integral in ensuring a positive work place backed by a company committed to the safety of its employees.
The O&M division is currently looking for a Vehicle Maintenance Manager to oversee the Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) fleet maintenance program, emphasizing safety and quality of service, to meet all financial and commercial performance targets.
Reporting to the Maintenance Director, the incumbent will manage the performance of the vehicle maintenance team, review maintenance performance and provide recommendations to the Maintenance Director for performance improvement initiatives as well as develop the annual and five-year maintenance strategy for the vehicles.
- Manages all maintenance activities for a mixed fleet of Diesel Multiple Units (DMUs).
- Manages a vehicle maintenance team to deliver, daily, a safe and high-quality DMU fleet that meets the service plan requirements and all relevant service performance targets.
- Manages the vehicle maintenance budget and resources.
- Develops and executes the vehicle maintenance program, which will address all scheduled and corrective maintenance, and draft the annual and five-year maintenance strategies.
- Manages the life cycle asset management for the DMU fleet.
- Oversees planning of train movements in the maintenance shop and the yard to ensure safety of personnel, operational efficiency, and suitability for vehicle maintenance tasks.
- Manages vehicle maintenance employee performance including disciplinary action, performance improvement initiatives and attendance management.
- Assures compliance to TransitNEXT health, safety, quality, and environmental policies and programs.
- Promotes and facilitates safety and ethics principles at all organizational levels.
- Conducts management visits / inspections as required.
- Oversee an annual training-needs assessment to ensure individual certifications are upheld and that purpose-built training meets the needs of regulatory, technical, and operational requirements and individual employee skill gaps.
- Support the personal development of vehicle maintenance team members.
- Reviews maintenance performance to identify initiatives for improving reliability, availability, maintainability, safety, and cost reduction.
- Ensure root cause investigations are undertaken into serious incidents or service delays and maintain effective tracking of associated action plans and improvement initiatives.
- Assist with risk assessments on financial and asset maintenance obligations.
- Foster innovation through employee engagement to improve reliability, availability, maintainability, safety, and productivity gains through research and trials of state-of-the-art technologies.
- Be available to be called out in the event of a vehicle-related major system failure or incident beyond normal working hours.
- The normal hours for this position will be weekdays between 8am and 5pm but the position requires flexibility for occasional night and weekend work.
- The nature of a railway operation is such that the Vehicles Manager, can be called upon to perform duties outside of the normal position function if required by operational requirements including response to failures and emergencies.
- Promotes and facilitates safety and ethics moments at all organizational levels, conducts management visits / inspections and remains available to support all levels of the function.
- Presentations to various stakeholders when necessary.
- Represents TransitNEXT on various committees as assigned.
- Responsible for ensuring that safe working procedures are developed and followed in conducting DMU fleet maintenance.
- Responsible for ensuring that initial and ongoing safety training for all direct reports and contractors is current.
- Responsible for ensuring that staff are equipped with the correct personal protective equipment and trained in its use.
- Responsible for conducting workplace inspections and safety tours of the railway.
- Responsible for his/her personal safety when on railway premises.
- This role will be required to manage diesel fueling operations as well as storage and disposal of fluids and materials used in the maintenance of the DMU fleet, in compliance with regulations and safety policies.
- Ten years of experience in a supervisory or management role in the maintenance of passenger-carrying railway vehicles.
- Experience with maintenance of Diesel Multiple Units would be an asset.
- Relevant technical diploma or engineering degree would be an asset.
- Knowledge of safe practices for working on railways and detailed understanding of regulatory framework for passenger-carrying rail vehicles.
- Strong team leadership skills. Must be a good communicator and capable of motivating his/her team to work to agreed objectives.
- Capable of balancing several conflicting priorities and ensuring that priority is given to safety, customer service, and contract performance.
- Expert level of experience in influencing and persuading subordinates to perform at the necessary levels or greater.
- Strong leadership to inspire others to perform and conduct themselves with a high degree of professionalism and integrity.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.