As a global design, engineering and project management consultancy, Atkins takes on a number of complex and time critical projects. And critical to our continued success is having the right mix of skills and experience.
That’s why we have a program called Partnering with Armed Forces (PwAF) dedicated to supporting veterans and reservists and engaging with members of the wider Armed Forces community. Because we know that – from leadership, stakeholder management, problem-solving and teamwork, through to specialist engineering skills – our ex-military and reservists bring invaluable skills and a diversity of thought to our wider team.
In fact, our commitment to our Armed Forces community has been recognized by the Ministry of Defence. Since 2015 we have been proud holders of the Gold Employer Recognition Award, reflecting Atkins’ support and advocacy for our Armed Forces.
Supporting our Armed Forces staff
We currently have over 120 veterans and 50 reservists working across Atkins. To support them and to encourage more veterans, reservists and members of the wider Armed Forces community to join us, our Partnering with Armed Forces program works with corporate functions across the UK on a range of activities including:
- Efforts to recruit service leavers, including our attendance at CTP Careers Fairs and posting our vacancies on the CTP and The Officers' Associations websites
- Encouraging veterans to mentor service leavers, Atkins destined or otherwise
- Working with HR to implement our Reserves policy, which includes an additional 10 days' paid leave to allow reservists to undertake their annual training
- Hosting an annual conference for reservists to engage with and feedback to senior leadership in the organisation
- Promoting reserve service among our workforce
- Fundraising for military charities like the Soldiers, Sailors, and Air Forces Association (SSAFA), the UK's oldest tri-service charity
- Involvement in an industry alumni group of the Employer Recognition Scheme Gold award. The alumni group was initiated by Atkins for companies to share knowledge and ideas to further the cause
- Advocating support through forum presentations and webinars
Get in Touch with us at ArmedForces@atkinsglobal.com