Water/Wastewater Project Manager
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Raleigh or Charlotte NC office as a Water/Wastewater Project Manager.
The Project Manager will support and lead projects for water/wastewater clients throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast markets, including execution of complex assignments related to planning, designing and preparing improvement plans and specifications related to water/wastewater infrastructure. Technical skill emphasis being sought is for wastewater treatment, but having a diverse skillset in other areas of water infrastructure is a bonus: water distribution and sewage collection systems planning and design, pump stations, lift stations, reservoirs, hydraulic structures, and water/wastewater treatment facilities.
- Participating in conducting engineering investigations and planning work by identifying and completing tasks. These tasks may include collection and analysis of data, performance of calculations, and researching the feasibility of alternative design approaches, site conditions, and/or regulatory agency specifications or regulations
- Prepare project work plans and develop project scopes, schedules, and budgets
- Monitor/manage project production for compliance with schedule, budget and quality objective.
- Maintain communications with team members, clients, and others involved with the project.
- Supervise multidiscipline teams with staff of varying experience. Be able to mentor junior staff. Provide workload forecasting for staff.
- Monitor/manage design and development of plans and drawings, which may include the development of preliminary layout and/or final drawings.
- Monitor/manage generation and development of project specifications and supporting documents including cost estimates and options analysis.
- Perform quality control, maintain quality standards in work produced, check computations or review design drawings.
- Support business development activities from identification of opportunities to preparing proposals and making presentations to clients. Work closely with other units of the company to develop marketing and business development strategies to target client and business opportunities in the North Carolina area
- Demonstrate strong project management skills. PMP certification is a plus.
- Perform engineering calculations.
- Participate on projects involving construction activities by reviewing shop drawings for conformance with specifications; assist in recordkeeping and in generating progress reports; observe relatively simple construction procedures.
- Comprehend hydraulic modeling for gravity and pressure systems and perform analysis.
- Contribute to technical report writing and data/analysis summary tables and exhibits
- Prepare cost and material quantity estimates.
- Coordinate work with other engineers and professionals within and outside own discipline, and with support services staff.
- Perform such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
- Uphold engineering ethics and professional standards of conduct.
- Lead and mentor project teams.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Civil, Chemical or Environmental Engineering. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus. This level may be achieved with ten years of experience in project production and technical professional activities, four of these working as a project manager.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong technical writing and communications skills. Experience and familiarity with the following programs is preferred: AutoCAD, MicroStation, ArcGIS, SWMM, Storm/Sewer/WaterCAD, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project)
- Local experience with the cities, water/sanitation districts and regulatory agencies within Raleigh and/or Charlotte NC is highly desirable.
- Active in one or more Technical Organizations such as ASCE, AWWA, APWA.
- PE license in NC is required with ability to obtain VA and GA licenses within 6 months of hire.
- General competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, devise appropriate solutions, and assemble and analyze data.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.