Assistant Engineer- Highways
Assistant Engineer Job Description
Our Transportation Division is currently seeking an Assistant Engineer in our Trowbridge office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highways projects within Wiltshire and surrounding counties. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Various Local Authorities, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, Train Operating Companies, Design & Build Contractors and other niche clients. Initially you will be working on highway projects being delivered under the Local Authority Framework Contract that we have with Wiltshire Council. We are looking to grow our civil engineering / highways design and supervision capability in the region based in Trowbridge. Atkins also provide opportunities to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
Ideally you will have a background in civil engineering design and experience of the delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects within highway environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
- Supporting technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects.
- Using your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
- Undertake designs and the production and review of design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications
- Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards
- Compliance with Quality, Safety, Environment and managerial procedures ensuring work produced is technically accurate and delivered in accordance with the appropriate standards.
- Developing more junior staff, typically apprentices and graduates by technical training and mentoring.
- Able to work and integrate into multi-disciplinary teams and work independently.
- Working with and supporting multi-disciplinary global teams.
- Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business in highway design, masterplanning and design of the urban realm.
- To work as part of a collaborative team with the Contractor / Client / Public, developing strong and lasting relationships which promote aligned, efficient and smarter ways of working.
- Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
- Mentoring junior staff and supporting the development of the team
- Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
- Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Actively working towards achieving CEng or IEng with the Institution of Civil Engineers (preferably)
- Good understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and those of Highways England, such as Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, and Manual for Streets.
- Preparing scheme drawings, from feasibility design through to detailed design
- Preparation of reports such as feasibility studies, method statements, specifications, approval documents and design reports
- Ability to deliver designs and drawings produced on 3D design packages; e.g. MX, AutoDesk Civils 3D, Microdrainage (or similar)
- Preparing works information packages (drawings, specifications, schedules and construction drawings) and the preparation of bills of quantities to MCHW
- Finding solutions to complex engineering problems, through original thought and by applying your ability to research information and data independently
- Experience in the preparation or assessment of S278 and S38 applications
- Able to ensure tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets. Experience in planning, costing and monitoring delivery of work packages within budget and programme and a working knowledge of the management of project finances by use of the change control process, in accordance with NEC3 PSC
- Demonstrate the importance of buildability in the design of highways works to help ensure our schemes deliver the best value for money for our clients
- Experience in the planning of works around utilities to mitigate the risk of delays through services clashes.
- Site supervision of highway improvement schemes
- Excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Experience of Project Governance and Development Processes for Highways England and / or Local Authorities.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Experience of CDM Regulations
- Diligent application of Quality Control processes for check and review of design packages and documents
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors.
- Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
- Experience of supervising highway works contracts.
- Design & Build Experience
We help our clients deliver their targets for economic development and housing growth, connecting communities and industry. Our Transportation team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time and transform rail and highway infrastructure.
We will value you for going beyond and exceeding our expectations so, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance