Assistant Process Engineer
Assistant Process Engineer
Process Engineer – Junior – Clean Water and/or Wastewater
Atkins, an SNC-Lavalin company, is a world-leader in engineering, design consultancy and construction providing our staff with opportunities to work on the most exciting and diverse UK and international projects. Following an exciting and very successful start to AMP7, The Infrastructure division is looking to appoint a number of Process Engineers to join our mechanical, electrical and process (MEP) team. We are looking for a range of experience levels, across both Clean Water and Wastewater. These roles could be based at any of our major offices, such as Birmingham, Derby, Bristol, Epsom, or Warrington. We plan to utilise your specialist skills to provide innovative multidisciplinary engineering solutions for our clients in the UK and overseas.
- Degree-qualified and planning to work towards Chartership, you will have the right blend of people skills, personal qualities and technical expertise to bring our solutions and projects to life. You will be positive and enthusiastic, a confident communicator at all levels, and a team player.
- A keen interest or experience in water or wastewater treatment, desalination, or project management, would be an advantage
- Flexibility to work at other locations in the UK or overseas for short durations.
- You will encourage and motivate those around you to work to your own high standards of quality and compliance. Using your own and our technical knowledge networks you will both educate and learn from those around you. You will be driven to stretch yourself and work outside of your comfort zone when the need arises.
What this role requires
The process engineering services we offer to our clients require us to be able to deliver in an agile and future-facing environment. The following are therefore examples of the type of skills and qualities we need you to have. It’s important to remember that in your case, some of these could be developing skill areas.
- Educated to degree level with a chemical / process engineering bias; planning to work towards being a chartered Member of a recognised professional institution
- Computer-literate and able to work effectively work with the basic Microsoft suite of programmes
- A keen interest or previous experience within the water and/or wastewater engineering sector
- Ability to provide a customer-focused service with an understanding of the water sector regulatory framework and strategic business planning
- Understanding of water and wastewater treatment technologies; an interest in developing and/or exploiting new and emerging technologies and techniques
- Ability to complete assignments on time, within budget and to a high technical standard
- A well-developed understanding of the design process
- A developing external profile and reputation; a desire and willingness to raise the profile of oneself and the Company
- Willingness to contribute to and develop our technical knowledge networks
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Well-motivated, with a positive outlook and approachable manner
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues and clients
- Ability to be flexible and to multi-task and prioritise when necessary
- Flexible and able to work within the rest of the UK and overseas, as work demands
Examples of work types
- Plant and infrastructure surveys and assessments, using cutting-edge technologies and techniques as appropriate
- Support plant operation, optimisation, and troubleshooting
- Feasibility, outline and detailed process design, including mass, heat and energy balances, process flow diagrams, P&IDs, hydraulic design, design risk assessments, control philosophies, commissioning strategies, cost and programme estimations, plant and equipment specifications, supplier tender evaluation
- Working with and developing digital design tools such as water quality analysis, unit process sizing, process performance metrics, hydraulic calculations and other automated design tools
- Technical report writing at all stages of the project lifecycle
- Liaison with clients within the UK and worldwide.
- Support bids, fee proposals or offers of service; development of activity schedules/work plans
- Familiar with HAZOP, DSEAR, CDM, WIMES, British and European Standards and other statutory, regulatory and non-regulatory provisions and guidance
- Development of standard and bespoke design solutions for the water industry and beyond
- Meet and exceed quality, programme, budgetary and H&S requirements on projects
- Preparing technical papers and presentations for conferences, colleagues and clients
- Develop and undertake research and development projects for Clients, managing external sampling and analysis where required
About Atkins - MEP team
The national MEP practice is a well-established, multidisciplinary, water engineering team with a varied and extensive global portfolio of asset creation, process improvement and plant optimisation projects. Our local teams incorporate expert process, mechanical and electrical engineers who provide a multidisciplinary approach to solving our clients’ problems in creating, managing, building and investing in water and wastewater infrastructure. Applying a networked management approach, and with a focus on staff empowerment, trust and agility, our fast-paced business can match your ambitions.
By drawing on the experience and knowledge of our global process engineering technical network, you will be encouraged to enhance your continuing professional development through developing and exploiting ground-breaking technological engineering advances within the water industry. From this class-leading technical foundation, your abilities will be developed to allow you to craft innovative, sustainable solutions and help us and our clients to take advantage of the digital revolution and embed resilience in our delivered solutions. And you will help us let the world know just how good you and we are at this!
Why work with us?
As process engineers, we understand the importance of water. Our clients’ core business may be municipal water and wastewater services, or alternatively water and wastewater treatment may be a utility on which their core business depends. We know that treating the right quantity of water to the right quality at the lowest whole life cost and carbon footprint is fundamental. This is enabled with smart, efficient and experienced process engineering. We deliver innovative, cost-effective and sustainable infrastructure solutions to our clients. Smart process engineering starts by understanding water biochemistry and applying knowledge, experience and tools to identify the best value physical, chemical and biological treatment processes before any construction begins. We specialize in all aspects of water treatment, from drinking water and ultra-pure water, through municipal and industrial wastewater, to biosolids treatment and energy recovery. We continue to provide industry-leading process engineering right through the project lifecycle, with value added in particular during commissioning and optimization.
We employ a range of proprietary and in-house developed digital tools to facilitate our work. We use our water quality analysis tool to quickly understand past, present and future trends. We have process selection, sizing and performance models that allow us to optimize existing assets or identify the best solution for new ones. This enables us to quickly and efficiently evaluate a complex range of options with a clearly auditable trail, that underpins strategic planning and stands up to Regulator scrutiny.
Our people demonstrate through leadership and align us with our clients’ values and desired outcomes at project and programme level. We champion sustainable, best value solutions and deliver them more effectively by being, individually and collectively, faster, smarter and more reliable.
Rewards, benefits and career development, training
We offer a comprehensive and competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with the role and your skills and experience. Please refer to our website for further details. Our technical networks offer fantastic opportunities for you to grow your experience, expertise and reputation amongst your peers and beyond. Our broad range of projects, and wide pool of expert people will help you and your career grow to suit your aspirations and personal goals. We will help you to develop professionally and personally through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. Your development plan will be regularly reviewed through an on-going career development process. We actively support staff who seek to achieve membership of relevant professional institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs