Assistant Project Manager
Assistant Project Manager
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility. At Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, we provide a complete set of project-based and advisory services across the Highways, Rail, International and Local Transport markets. We help and support the development of strategies and strengthen frameworks that effectively respond to market demands and bring ideas to life.
Through innovative partnerships, we are shaping the future of transport. Our staff, forward thinking and commercially aware, understand the industry’s challenges and are able to maximise client outcomes, opportunities for our own growth and for the benefit of society.
We work smart. We are focused on the needs of our clients and are committed to keeping our promises. For each and every project we safely deliver leading-edge solutions, policy outcomes and effective and efficient services for best value.
Our Transportation Division is currently seeking a Project Manager in our Derby office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary Rail projects nationally. Using your excellent people, technical, time management and delivery skills, you’ll be part of a team project managing a variety of rail designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You will be part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Various Local Authorities, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, Train Operating Companies, Design & Build Contractors and other niche clients.
You will be working on rail projects directly with our key rail clients. We are looking to grow our project management capability in the region, you will also have the opportunity to work with our internationally based design teams. Ideally you will have a background in project management and experience of the delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects within rail environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design and construction.
- Managing technical input to a portfolio of multi-disciplinary rail engineering projects.
- With value management in mind working with technical leads to derive engineering solutions to problems and judgement to appraise and recommend options.
- Producing project data to support delivery of technical projects, spreadsheets and tracking data to Atkins Business Management System standards, including providing technical assurance of fee proposals.
- Overseeing commercial operation from pipeline management to final accounts, preparation of reports and specifications for sub-contract agreements.
- Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
- Ensuring compliance with business management standards set in the company’s quality, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Maintain and further develop the existing teams to continue delivering world class engineering projects on time and to budget.
- Line management duties including mentoring and developing personnel.
- Working collaboratively with and supporting multi-disciplinary global teams. Briefing and directing project teams to ensure the work is carried out cost effectively and to specification.
- Client engagement at regional and national levels. Understanding and meeting the client’s business needs and for them to feel confident in our commitment to deliver.
- Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
- Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
- To work as part of a collaborative team with the Contractor / Client / Public, developing strong and lasting relationships which promote aligned, efficient and smarter ways of working.
- Client, programme and financial management of projects.
- Preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
- Working with the Client Project Managers and Engineers on a day to day basis.
- Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team proposals.
- Working collaboratively across contracts with the wider Atkins group and our partners.
- Contributing to bid leadership and developing winning proposals for our largest opportunities.
- Ensuring our culture of safety and commitment to the environment is maintained and promoted throughout our delivery teams.
- Degree qualification.
- Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors.
- Good understanding and demonstrable experience of relevant project management suites and commercial / financial processes.
- Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
- Knowledge of Project Governance and Development Processes for Network Rail and / or Local Authorities.
- Awareness and specialist knowledge to ensure safety in rail environments and experience of CDM Regulations.
- Well-developed leadership, communication, negotiating, influencing and inter-personal skills, with the drive and commitment to achieve programme wide objectives. Able to ensure tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets.
- Ability to research information and data independently and ability to find solutions to complex problems.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Association of Project Managers (APM – FPQ / PMQ), or equivalent.
- Awareness of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
- Client engagement experience.
- Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
- Experience of supervising rail works contracts.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
- Experience of supervising remote teams to deliver common goals.
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our Transportation team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel faster and more efficiently, we transform rail and highway infrastructure. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed.
Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
Diversity & Inclusion:
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planner
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs