Assistant Project Manager
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
The Atkins UK Infrastructure Project Delivery Practice (PDP) is the centre of excellence for the delivery of infrastructure projects and the home unit for our project management staff. The team is responsible for delivery of design services across our Markets of Water Infrastructure, Defence Infrastructure, Aviation, Energy, Stations and Urban Developments. These may be delivered as single major projects or a programme of smaller projects. Our Clients include, AWE, Berkeley Homes, BAE Systems, DIO, EDF, Environment Agency, Gatwick Airport, Heathrow Airport, High Speed 2, Horizon, London City Airport Metropolitan Police, United Utilities, Scottish Water, Sellafield, Seven Trent Water, St Modwen, Thames Water, Transport for London.
We have exciting new opportunities in our Project Delivery Practice for an Assistant Project Manager to work from our London office. As an Assistant Project Manager you will work alongside Project Managers to control and manage design activities on multi-disciplinary commissions.
Assistant Project Managers will be responsible for activities including:
- Supporting the project team in the successful delivery of the project to agreed targets, e.g. programme, budget and quality;
- Identifying, escalating and managing any matters that could pose a potential contractual/commercial risk to Atkins to the Project Manager at the earliest opportunity;
- Assist in the setting of objectives, and defining tasks for the project team (including Inter Unit Task Orders);
- Assisting in the management of the project – both technically and financially, in accordance with corporate and business policies, directives, guidance and procedures. Monitoring and reporting performance against programme, technical quality, financial and KPI targets; taking, or advising the PM on the requirements for, any necessary mitigation actions to prevent targets being missed, controlling change and managing effective change control process;
- Facilitating communication, co-ordination and information flow with the Client and within the project team, including any subcontractors and partners (internal and external);
- Assembling the project delivery programme and delivery plans; providing project reports on a regular basis to convey cost and schedule information (monthly Board report, in a timely manner, as required internally or externally;
- Supporting in the invoicing and effective credit control for optimal cash flow (with the support of the finance team); comparing revenue with predicted costs and identifying risk allowances, margin and provisions – at project set-up and monthly thereafter, including Earned Value reporting;
- Being involved in closing out the project on completion, archiving project documentation, updating market information, ensuring that lessons learnt are captured and disseminated internally and ensuring that a Client Satisfaction survey is initiated.
- Degree qualified, equivalent qualification or significant practical experience of working on design commissions for large infrastructure projects
- Market sector experience in one or more of Water Infrastructure, Stations, Aviation, Defence Infrastructure, Energy and Urban Development projects
- Strong interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbal and written
- A hard working and flexible individual, with a willingness to learn, who is a team player, possesses a good attention to detail, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines.
- Ability to manage and motivate a team and demonstrates good leadership potential
- Familiarity with Scope Definition papers, Project Execution Plans, Risk Registers, Change Control Logs and Client & Stakeholder Management plans
- Experience of managing small and medium sized design projects to time, cost and quality objectives and familiar with programming and earned value techniques
- Self motivated and able to work both independently and within a larger multi-discipline team
- Familiar with BIM and has an understanding of 3D modelling tools for design and coordination purposes and the associated Information attributes that can be assigned and managed within the Model.
- Is familiar with the issues and management surrounding project delivery from multiple design centres, including the use of off shore facilities
- A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients and team members alike
- Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home, with potential periods overseas on assignments, when required
- Holds a valid UK driving licence
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving chartership and corporate membership of relevant institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.