Associate (Building Physics Team Lead)
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins are looking to appoint an individual to lead the UK Building Physics team and to provide their expertise and design knowledge on a variety of high profile multi-disciplinary projects in the UK and abroad.
The role will be within the London and South East team as part of the Building Services UK national practice and will involve working with a multidiscipline team of architects and engineers, providing a comprehensive and fully integrated design service to our clients.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced engineer to join an internationally renowned consultant, affording the opportunity to work on large scale multidiscipline projects. You should have the ability to make decisions, act on your own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
The individual will have the following attributes (but not limited to):
- Well-rounded understanding of the principles of building physics, from concept design input, options comparisons and thermal modelling;
- In-depth understanding of thermal analysis, including peak plant sizing, annual energy analysis, lighting control, daylighting, natural ventilation.
- An understanding of the level of thermal analysis required at each design stage;
- Understanding of the building physics input required to interfacing disciplines, such as specialist lighting, MEP, structures and architecture at each design stage.
- In-depth understanding of IES-VE, including the following modules: VE Compliance, Radiance, Apache HVAC, Apache Systems, Macro flow, Micro flow, Vista-Pro and an ability to extract sustainability outputs (e.g. to support BREEAM, LEED etc.) from IES-VE;
- Accreditation as Low Carbon Consultant (design and DSM) and Energy Assessor (level 5) would be favourable;
- Part L compliance and EPC calculations – both SBEM and dynamic simulation
- Ability to liaise with the development team at IES-VE regarding future software developments and requirements and appraise the Atkins UK IES community.
- Ability to plan next steps for development for the Building Physics team, covering team skills, work flows (e.g. digital developments, BIM) and consideration of new software;
- Understanding of digital developments in this field, such as Python coding, integration with Sketch-up, Revit
- Experience of coordinating analysis work with the wider design team to enable accurate representation of the proposed (or actual) physical space to be modelled – coupled with an ability to communicate what the impacts key design decisions by other disciplines will have on the thermal performance of the space
- Ability to produce technical reports that discuss the analysis processes undertaken, inputs/ outputs, conclusions, impact on other disciplines (primarily Building Services & Architecture), etc.
- Ability to undertake site inspections, covering thermal analysis inputs, including plant inspections and review of O&M manuals.
- Ability to present to technical & non-technical audiences on the topic of thermal analysis
- Ability to plan workload for themselves & others
- Ability to forecast resource input on projects to enable fee enquiries to be compiled and manage delivery to the agreed fee.
- Minimum 5 years post qualification experience
- CIBSE Low Carbon Consultant
- Working knowledge of leading building performance software (IES, TAS, Hevacomp, etc.)
- Working knowledge of BREEAM (Ene credits)
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work autonomously or as part of a larger team and able to plan strategically, make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way to support the needs of the business.
- Capable of accurate work under pressure and able to work on several projects simultaneously.
- Interested in developing design tools to enable more efficient and accurate production of project deliverables.
- Wider knowledge of other disciplines highly desirable.
- Able to gain security clearance if required.
- Stay abreast of changes in legislation, regulations and guidance
- Stay abreast of developments in vendors’ software
- Contribute to the development of Atkins’ in-house digital design tools
- Technical Assurance of deliverables form the Building Performance Group and wider network of software users in Atkins
- Undertake building performance analysis including Part L compliance, overheating assessment (CIBSE TM59), BRUKL report, EPC, etc.
- Management of Atkins’ Building Performance Group, including workload planning
- Leadership of wider Atkins network of Building Performance software users
- Develop and engage supply chain to meet requirement for specialist input into projects
- Input resource estimates into fee bids
Rewards and Benefits
Atkins offers a range of benefits through the ‘My Rewards’ packages, which can be selected annually. Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package www.yourrewardatkins.com
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.