Associate Director / Buildings Sustainability Lead
Associate Director / Buildings Sustainability Lead
Associate Director - Sustainability Consultant
Job Closing Date: Friday 16th October 2020
We are looking to appoint an Associate Director into our Building Design practice. This is an exciting role to take the lead on one of our key focus areas of Sustainability and develop a UK multi-discipline team, working with our Architects and Structural/Civil Engineers, across a range of Infrastructure and Buildings sectors.
This role will report directly into the Building Services Senior Leadership Team, will have influence over the 200 Building Services Engineers in the UK as well as the 600 Architects and Structural Engineers within the Building Design practice.
This is one of three strategic roles, which also include an Energy Master planner and a De-centralised Energy Network expert, which will form the basis of a leadership group to enhance our net zero carbon and low energy service offerings to suit our Client’s increasing requirements.
Atkins (part of the SNC-Lavalin Group), is a leading provider of Sustainability and low carbon services within the UK. We provide a range of support and insight to large UK private and public-sector clients. This includes energy efficiency and carbon management services, asset management and whole life costing, as well as broader sustainability strategy services such post-occupancy evaluation and rating tools. Our five-year plan includes growing our services in early consultancy to support our Clients strategic needs such as developing their energy strategies as well as growing post occupation asset management.
We are looking to recruit a knowledgeable and skilled Associate Director with solid experience in delivering consultancy services in the Sustainability arena including; energy auditing and building optimisation, post occupancy evaluation, and the provision of technical advice and guidance in other areas of low carbon consultancy with a focus on energy efficiency and low carbon technologies and their implementation in a wide range of sectors.
You will work at a strategic level, collaborating with the whole range of skillsets that are offered by Atkins, to develop a world class Sustainability service offering, with the ability to influence blue chip clients and projects.
You will also work closely with both delivery & bid teams to capture internal and external business opportunities in the area of Sustainability. For specific projects, you’ll have the capability to construct a brief for the inclusion of Sustainability measures, provide a comprehensive strategic bid response and contribute to the management of a team to deliver project Sustainability concepts. You’ll define strategic Sustainability issues and develop processes for the bidding & delivery teams to follow to ensure Atkins remains at the forefront of Sustainable business delivery.
- Degree qualified in a Building Services related discipline and Chartered with a relevant institution or equivalent.
- Ability to influence senior management and peers within the industry and positively challenge decisions and processes
- Significant experience in the concepts/theories/practicalities of Sustainable design and compliance requirements
- An astute Building Services Engineer of high technical standing
- Extensive project experience, necessitating high levels of technical competence with a strong focus and track record of the delivery of Sustainable designs and processes
- Experience working on a variety of major multi-discipline design projects
- Demonstrable leadership and people management skills with the ability to run a team and expand a Sustainability business strategy
- Good commercial awareness, business management skills and results orientation
- Customer focused with a high level of relationship management skills
- Confident ability with good communication skills and a professional approach to clients and other Atkins employees – able to facilitate discussion session on Sustainability matters
- Ability to collate information and have a clear and structured approach to report writing
- A good knowledge of the application of Sustainability rating processes and standards such as BREEAM, CEEQUAL, LEED, SKA, NABERS, Passivhaus etc.
- Own technical responsibility and operational accountability for defining process on Sustainability output on projects
- Familiar with relevant industry standards and guidelines relating to Sustainability
- Knowledgeable of UK Government policy and other industry initiatives that relate to energy use and sustainable developments.
- Comfortable in communicating and challenging other cross-discipline design team members to arrive at the optimum Sustainable design solution.
- Able to demonstrate a full understanding of the key Building Services design considerations and how they impact on Sustainability issues when working on projects
- Able to represent the company as a Subject Matter Expert on Sustainability matters
- Providing technical sustainability support to clients in a wide range of areas including;
- Building performance and building optimisation
- Energy auditing and options development
- Sustainability strategies
- Renewable feasibility studies
- Whole life carbon assessments
- Climate adaptation / mitigation strategies
- Providing advice to clients and design teams on the most cost-effective and beneficial route to compliance
- Generate good working relationships with internal and external clients and develop a client relationship management strategy
- Take responsibility for key client management for specific clients
- Manage others performance to ensure customers receive a good service
- Provide management, motivation, inspiration and Sustainability leadership for the Building Design team engaged on projects
- Undertake Sustainability appraisals and personal development plans for selected team members
- Shape the overall Sustainability team with good team leader skills in order to grow the business
- Recognise and develop talent in others; leads by example
- Identify and nurture talent in others to build a high performing and technically sound team
- Business Development
- Produce and implement Sustainability tactical marketing plans and ensure monthly business activities are undertaken regularly.
- Develop Sustainability marketing material, bid documents, etc.
- Customer focussed and build, maintain and nurture a high-profile client base
- Ability to build and maintain strong business relationships with internal and external clients
- Active in industry facing discussion forums and interest groups
- Commercially aware and capable of identifying and securing internal and external project opportunities
- Where appropriate, takes commercial responsibility for the delivery of the Sustainability team engaged on a project
- Take a long term strategic view of business growth, specifically in relation to Sustainability
- Bidding for project opportunities in compliance with business guidelines
- Project cost control
Rewards and Benefits
Atkins recognises the importance of helping its employees manage their work and home life by offering flexible working arrangements that enable them to balance their working life with parental and other caring responsibilities. For full details of our flexible working scheme and benefits package, please refer to our website.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
Diversity & Inclusion
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Cities & development
At Atkins we offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.Our Infrastructure Division is supporting many of the major infrast
Cities & development
As part of our growing commitment to the digitization of the built environment, innovation in digital engineering and design, and the rising importance of information and data management in the constr
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs