Associate Town Planner
Atkins, member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancy firms offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career. Our Planning and Environment team based in London, Epsom, Bristol, Birmingham, Warrington and Leeds works directly with Atkins’ wide range of businesses in the UK and across the world on a variety of major infrastructure and transport orientated development projects. The team is one of the UK’s leading consultancies, at the forefront of thought-leadership in the field of Planning. To find out about our recent varied and interesting Planning projects see our Planning and consenting for National Significant Infrastructure Projects brochures. Key clients currently include Highways England, HS2 Ltd, the East West Rail Alliance, Severn Trent Water, Transport for London, Horizon Nuclear Power Ltd, EDF, Heathrow, Homes England, Peel Holdings and several local authorities and LEPs.
We require experienced Associate Planners to join our teams across all offices. The people appointed will join a progressive national planning team with a wide range of client interests in the public and private sectors. The positions will provide additional capacity to deliver our expanding workload and will play a key role in the development of our growing national business.
The positions require Chartered Planners, combining an excellent track record in planning with particular experience in providing comprehensive advice to the transportation, development, water, nuclear, aviation and energy sectors. The roles include working collaboratively with other environmental, engineering and design disciplines within the wider Atkins UK teams.
- Identification, development and pursuit of new business and marketing opportunities in a range of sectors
- Preparation of tender responses
- Preparation of planning applications and supporting documents for development and infrastructure schemes
- Input into the preparation of Development Consent Orders, TWAOs and associated documentation
- Provision of planning advice to external and internal clients
- Co-ordination of and/or input into Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) and procuring wider consents
- Management, including financial management, of projects
- Resource allocation in liaison with the Regional Practice Manager
- Mentoring and developing junior colleagues
- Checking and reviewing planning (and supporting) documents prepared by others
- A relevant planning degree or Masters (or equivalent)
- Chartered membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute
- Directly relevant post-chartership experience in a planning role, with good knowledge and experience of the Development Consenting Order Process
- Sound, in-depth knowledge of planning law and procedures, including the changing planning (and environmental) system at national and local levels
- Experience in the management and delivery of multi-disciplinary planning projects
- Proven ability to manage budgets
- Capable of working alongside and co-ordinating technical specialists providing input into planning submissions and EIAs
- Enthusiasm for, and experience, of managing and mentoring colleagues, to encourage the professional development of other members of the team
- Commercial expertise and market awareness, plus evidence of success in winning work and growing a team
- Consultancy experience is essential
- The successful applicants must be flexible and self-motivated, and will be expected to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Good communication skills, with the ability to draft persuasive, accurate reports to a high standard
- An ability to work under pressure and have proven success in meeting tight deadlines
- An aptitude to work well as part of a team, but able to work with limited supervision
- A commercial approach and business development skills
- Willingness to work flexibly throughout their region and if necessary as part of a team embedded within a client organisation for periods of time
Rewards and Benefits:
Please refer to Atkins’ website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles