Our Advanced Technology team specialises in advanced computer-based structural and dynamic analysis using finite element analysis software to predict the behavior of civil, structural and mechanical hardware. With a Master’s degree in Mechanical, Civil, General Engineering or related field, you’ll get involved in a variety of fields from structural dynamics and seismic engineering to stress, thermal and fatigue analysis.
Who we’re looking for:
• Talented graduates with/expecting a 2.1 or above MEng/MSc degree (or equivalent) in a Civil, Mechanical, General or related discipline;
• Good written standard of English and oral communication abilities;
• Ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions;
• Experience or an interest in developing the application of computer programming and other digital solutions to engineering problems;
• Ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills and achieve Chartered status;
• Strong interpersonal and team working skills;
• A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad;
• Working towards or obtained chartered Engineer status.
The role would join a body of technically focused engineers who aim to provide solutions to complex problems. There is a demand for an analytically focused, practically minded Engineer, with a Civil, Structural or Mechanical Engineering background who is looking for a challenge.
Successful applicants will join a forward-thinking team, working in a digitally collaborative environment, and will be given opportunities to make real contributions to major engineering projects.
• Part of technical delivery teams to deliver a range of projects to completion, within cost budget and to programme.
• Effectively manage own time which may be necessary if allocated to more than one project
• Delivery of technically compliant design deliverables in accordance with the input requirements.
• Production of designs and calculations to demonstrate acceptable performance or identify design issues.
• Production of key technical documentation – Calculations, Design reports
• Build internal relationships and help identify business opportunities.
• Develop technically towards a technical authority in blast design or related technical specialism.
• Maintain and promote high personal standards in Environment, Safety, Health, Security and Quality.
Please read these requirements carefully before applying and ensure they are evident on your CV if you have achieved them.
• Honours Degree in Mechanical, Civil or Structural Engineering or related discipline
• Chartered Engineer
• Experience of dynamics, blast design and/or pipework and mechanical plant assessment
• Expertise in the analysis of explosions and consideration of the loading and structural response in the analysis, structural engineering and design of major facilities
• Expertise in analysis of explosion effects and consideration of the loading and response in the analysis, engineering and design of the plant within major facilities
• Expertise of how to incorporate Security and Counter Terrorism Measures into design solutions
• Extensive experience of Mechanical Engineering Building Design and working on multi-discipline projects
• Proven experience on providing analytical solutions using applicable design software
• Have experience, and a want to, technically collaborate within a technically orientated team
• Established skill and delivery in the design and analysis of concrete and steel structures, and be familiar with current design standards and working practices
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Ability to manage and work to budget and programme, to control costs and manage change control processes
• A flexible attitude to both the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given
• Experience of working with, and managing, small focused technical teams
• Flexible approach to work location
• You should have the ability to make decisions, act on your own initiative
• Ideally be familiar with working to design codes and industry standards appropriate for a safety critical industry.
• Additional Security or Blast design qualifications or affiliations would be beneficial, such as a member of Register of Security Engineers and Specialists (RSES)
• Proven experience working across sectors including airports, education, commercial, residential and defence
• Experience and understanding of American and British standards and guidelines for Explosive, Weapons effects and Counter Terrorism Measures would be beneficial
• You will have a proactive, co-operative and helpful attitude to colleagues and clients.
• A self-motivating, reliable and consistent approach to work is essential.
• Practically minded with a problem-solving nature.
• A flexible and adaptable approach to work is required.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Flexible approach to work location.
• High standards of work, delivering robustly within the Atkins Design Principles.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who require flexibility. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
Rewards and Benefits
The Atkins standard benefits package
(http://axis.eu.atkinsglobal.com/uk/peoplematters/rewards/Pages/default.aspx) is included in the job description template which can be found using the following link: http://axis.eu.atkinsglobal.com/uk/peoplematters/employ/Pages/recruitment.aspx
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.