Bus Rapid Transit Program Manager
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Intermodal Group as a Bus Rapid Transit Program Manager. This position can sit in any of the following cities, Houston, TX, Seattle, WA, Atlanta, GA, Miami, FL, Tampa, FL and Alexandria, VA.
Atkins is excited to be offering positions with our Transit and Rail, Bus Rapid Transit Team, which specializes in the planning, design and project management of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) projects across the nation. Collaborate with and become among the nation’s best in the delivery and management of Bus Rapid Transit projects, helping create solutions that meet our clients’ objectives and solve their challenges. Manage BRT transit projects including planning, design, and, project and construction management, mentor staff, build and maintain client relationships, and participate in business development activities to help achieve the sales, revenue, and project delivery goals of the Rail & Transit BU. This position reports to the Area/Regional Manager within Atkins’s Transit & Rail Business Unit. The selected individual will be responsible for providing Full Time management and technical expertise for Atkins’s BRT practice.
This is a newly created position that will offer a unique opportunity for an individual to assist in the development of a strategic bus rapid transit program that will further define this position’s role, responsibilities and self-directed work plan.
The individual in this position must be highly organized and develop important relationships with major stakeholders concerning impact and mitigation strategies of transportation system congestion. This individual will manage primarily BRT transit projects, design, mentor staff, build and maintain client relationships, and participate in business development activities.
- Be thoroughly knowledgeable of the U.S. BRT market.
- Maintain current with Federal and State funding programs and seek opportunities to define eligible projects that will support public transportation.
- This position manages and conducts various assigned projects, including technical assistance, planning, environmental studies, project and program management for bus rapid transit systems.
- Prepare plans, studies, and/or engineering designs including drawings, calculations, and specifications.
- Review submittals and prepare detailed descriptions of review findings.
- Participate in review meetings and technical working sessions.
- Collaborate with transit agencies and MPO’s to identify innovative approaches and potential pilot projects to implement BRT’s.
- Conduct presentations and meetings with local government officials as directed.
- Serve as a bridge for information exchange between the various modal responsibilities.
- Manage projects and tasks, including staffing, financials, and quality reviews
- Prepare, edit, format and produce technical reports and displays
- Develop strong working relationships with clients, potential clients, and partner firms to support business development activities
- Management of project financials, project team leadership, delivery of BRT projects and tasks
- Interaction and collaboration with the client’s team, governmental agencies, contractors, the public and other SNC-Lavalin/Atkins personnel.
- This position will report directly to Area/Regional Manager.
- Talent is the essence of meeting our client’s objectives, goals and challenges. If this sounds like a fit for you, we’d love to have that first discussion of you joining our team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Engineering or related field
- Master’s degree in Planning, Engineering, or equivalent. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- This level may be achieved by technical professionals or managers with twelve years of experience since B.S. or eleven years since M.S., with at least three of these years in the Senior Project Manager position with highly complex project management responsibility.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills, public speaking and persuasive ability; very strong financial management, team management, and leadership skills; ability to manage and coordinate efforts of various projects to produce budgeted profits and overall results.
- Possesses specific expertise to the extent that the individual is regarded as a regional or potentially national expert in a specific discipline, contract delivery method, particular type of project, planning process, design method, or modeling technique. Personal computer proficiency is required.
- Professional registration in field of practice is required, if available, e.g., P.E., A.I.C.P., R.A., or R.L.A. Certification as a “Project Management Professional” (PMP) or “Certified Construction Manager” (CCM) required within one year of assuming this position
- 10+ years of experience in transit planning and/or engineering
- Team player that possesses strong analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively present and communicate ideas orally and in written form
- Critical, strategic and creative thinking skills
- Computer skills (i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Possess a high level of energy and enthusiasm
- Ability to demonstrate experience in the public transportation market, leading and delivering work tasks for transit projects and studies including data collection, research and documentation contributing to the delivery of transit planning for bus rapid transit (BRT), bus and other modes
- Ability to demonstrate strong project management skills/history
- Ability and interest in mentoring and managing staff
- Work experience with any transit & DOT agencies, (i.e. Broward County, Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC), Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), MARTA, FDOT, GDOT and/or GRTA, etc..)
- Experience in delivering bus rapid transit projects preferred
- Experience in preparing NEPA documents for FTA preferred
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles