Chartered Principal Structural Engineer (Transport sector)
Atkins are looking to appoint a Chartered Principal Structural Engineer (Transport sector) into our Birmingham Structures team to help deliver our ambitious plans to develop and grow the Building Design practice in the Midlands and across the UK.
Atkins’ Building Design practice provides multidisciplinary engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range of projects relating to buildings and infrastructure. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects across sectors including; Transportation, Education, Commercial, Residential, Defence and Energy.
Due to a number of secured projects in the rail and aviation sectors, and significant pipeline opportunities in the region we are looking to grow our team.
- Chartered Engineer (MIStructE or MICE)
- Experience in structural engineering within the transport sector; incl. design of rail station buildings, footbridges etc.
- Proven experience as a Contractor Responsible Engineer (CRE) desirable.
- Knowledge of Network Rail processes and GRIP design stages.
- Be a technically excellent engineer, with established skills and delivery capability.
- The ability to translate this broad range of technical skills into imaginative ideas which enhance the quality of our designs.
- Proven experience on developing projects from concept to construction stage.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills that can support our client relationships, assist in preparing bids and generally enhance our work winning capability.
- Experience of actively managing clients.
- Ability to manage and work to budget and program, to control costs and manage change control processes
- Familiar with BIM and possess an understanding of 3D modelling tools for design and coordination purposes and the associated Information attributes that can be assigned and managed within the Model
- Lead the delivery of transport sector projects to a high level of quality and client satisfaction acting as CRE, Lead Structural Engineer and/or Design Manager
- Provide leadership for technical delivery, including playing an active role in our national technical excellence programme
- Managing design teams responsible for delivering projects in accordance with client’s requirements, including the use of off shore design teams
- Ensure the provision of efficient high-quality structural engineering design.
- Manage the application of Atkins and Network Rail QA processes including arranging and facilitating technical reviews, IDCs/IDRs at key stages of the project.
- Be the first point of contact for clients, contractors, design team and third parties.
- Offer support and guidance to more junior members of the team.
- Effectively manage own time which may be necessary if allocated to more than one project
- Build client relationships and help identify business opportunities
- Be a technical champion within the team.
- Assist in managing the broader team through mentoring and training.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.