Civil Engineering Intern
SNC-Lavalin Inc. is currently seeking Civil Engineering Interns to join our Roads and Bridges, with potential to work out of Saskatoon or Regina. The work term will start May 2020 for a 16 month work term, with potential career opportunities for graduates. The successful candidate will join a local team focused on delivering high quality work for a variety of clients.
SNC-Lavalin Inc. is an engineering company operating in countries around the world. The Roads and Bridges team is a part of the Engineering, Design, and Project Management (EDPM) division of SNC-Lavalin Inc. within Canada. By joining SNC-Lavalin Inc., you’re seizing the chance to grow with a leader in engineering and construction, with ample opportunity to work on project locally and abroad.
This job provides design, supervision, and project management of various civil project with a focus on transportation and heavy earthworks. This position will involve working with team directors, senior, and other junior engineers on a variety of projects. A large component of this position will involve field work and travel to various construction projects within the province of Saskatchewan. The intern will be trained and mentored to complete a variety of tasks that may include but are not limited to field supervision, site safety, material testing, quality assurance inspections, surveying, drilling, geo- investigations, and final reporting. Interns will be required to assist in develop technical documents and proposals. Candidates may be exposed to multiple phases of project including tendering document development, project costing and forecasting, feasibility studies, technical reviews, construction, and close out reporting. The goal is to expose interns to multiple engineering disciplines include geotechnical investigations, environmental engineering, and construction administration.
The intern will be mentored and supervised by a Professional Engineer. The experience gained while employed at SNC-Lavalin Inc. can be used as hours to earn your professional designation. Vehicles, accommodations, and subsistence will be provided by SNC-Lavalin Inc. should you be required to travel.
- Construction activity monitoring and supervision with assistance from a field supervisor
- Material testing of various aggregates in a laboratory environment
- Topographic or construction surveying with GPS RTK survey equipment
- Developing reports for site investigations and construction projects
- Participating in field investigation which may include drilling, material sampling and landowner engagement
- Developing presentation on completed projects
- Data entry, project design, and development of sensitivity analysis spreadsheets
- 2nd or 3rd year student currently enrolled in a Bachelor's Degree program in Civil Engineering with an internship work term
- Valid driver’s license
- A solid understanding of MS Office
- Detail oriented with the ability to balance changing workload
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work and travel throughout the province
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision or as a member of a team
- Exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills
- Self -motivated and a high level of energy
- Ability to understand and comply with various site safety requirements
- Previous Project Management experience would be considered an asset
- Completion of AutoCAD Level 1 & 2 would be considered an asset
- Completion of Spring survey camp would be considered an asset
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.