The Atkins UK Infrastructure Project Delivery Practice (PDP) is the Centre of excellence for the delivery of infrastructure projects and the home unit for our project management staff. The team is responsible for delivery of design services across our Markets of Water Infrastructure, Defense Infrastructure, Aviation, Energy, Stations and Urban Developments. These may be delivered as single major projects or a programme of smaller projects. Our Clients include, AWE, Berkeley Homes, BAE Systems, DIO, EDF, Environment Agency, Gatwick Airport, Heathrow Airport, High Speed 2, Horizon, London City Airport Metropolitan Police, United Utilities, Scottish Water, Sellafield, Seven Trent Water, St Modwen, Thames Water and Transport for London.
We have exciting opportunities in our Project Delivery Practice for Design Manager to be based in our Glasgow office. These individuals will be responsible for delivery of multi-disciplinary projects from concept through to construction, on our expanding portfolio of the biggest and most challenging projects across all Market Sectors. Design Managers are responsible for the control and management for design activities on large multi-disciplinary commissions; these commissions require the Design Manager to control respective in-house, Global Design Centre and external sub-consultants as required.
The Design Manager will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following activities:
- Managing, coordinating and delivering technically challenging projects on time, within budget and to the desired quality;
- Managing a single or multi-functional design team responsible for delivering projects in accordance with client’s requirements
- Coordinating design activities across various disciplines within the design team;
- Comfortable with interfacing with the Client and other design team members regarding the production of information in line with agreed deliverables
- Understanding and managing changes to scope, budget and programme
- Identifying risks and opportunities and contributing to the project risk and opportunities register
- Escalating any matters that could pose a potential contractual/commercial risk to Atkins at the earliest opportunity;
- Management of internal costs/resource against proposed budget targets
- Progress reporting and monitoring progress in line with project KPI’s
- Degree qualified or equivalent qualification with experience working on design commissions for large infrastructure projects
- Market sector experience in one or more of Water Infrastructure, Rail, Aviation, defense, Energy and Urban Development projects
- Good interpersonal and communication skills both verbally and in writing
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, possesses good attention to detail, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines.
- Ability to effectively manage and motivate a team
- Experienced at preparing Scope Definition papers, Project Execution Plans, Risk Registers, Change Control Logs and Client & Stakeholder Management plans
- Familiar with BIM and has an understanding of 3D modelling tools for design and coordination purposes and the associated Information attributes that can be assigned and managed within the Model
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team
- A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and across disciplines
- Is familiar with the issues and management surrounding project delivery from multiple design centres, including the use of off shore facilities
- Has a knowledge of the Professional services models for delivery for complex projects and the design stages and approval requirements applicable for various industry sectors e.g. Rail, Commercial, Nuclear, etc.
- A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients and team members alike
- Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home, with potential periods overseas on assignments, when required
- Holds a valid UK driving license
- SC Clearance would be an advantage
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs