Ecological Clerk of Works
Ecological Clerk of Works
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment. . We work on challenging and exciting projects across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence.
To meet our growing project workload we are looking for multiple Ecological Clerk of Works, joining our site based team in Bicester / Bletchley, Milton Keynes UK to work within the East West Rail Alliance. These roles will be fixed term 12-18 months appointments.
The Alliance is a Pure Alliance consisting of three Non-Owner Participants (NOPs); Atkins Global, Laing O’Rourke, Volker Rail Ltd and the Owner Participant (OP) Network Rail.
East West Rail (EWR) Phase 2 is a programme in excess of one billion pounds which will provide a strategic route linking key centres of economic activity between Oxford, Milton Keynes, Aylesbury and Bedford. The ecological elements of this are exciting and involve innovative solutions to complex issues.
What you will be doing
- Ecological Clerk or Works, supporting the Section Ecologists in the delivery of ecological mitigation and support of construction works for the Alliance.
- ECoWs will report to their respective Section Ecologist and methods of works will need be agreed in accordance with authorised supporting documentation for that task (e.g. Precautionary Methods of Working or Natural England development licences).
- Responsible for assuring that ecological mitigation measures are implemented onsite and that construction activities are legally compliant and that all the necessary paperwork (e.g. licences) are complied with. Tasks will also include construction of advanced mitigation sites, monitoring of mitigation features and monitoring surveys.
- Ecological supervision of mitigation installations, supervision of construction or early / enabling / preparation works
- Provide on-site ecological advice to site teams
- Assess compliance of construction against design
- Deliver tool box talks and site briefings
- Preparation of Task Briefs and Work Package Plans, as required
- Preparation of Alliance documentation e.g. (Precautionary Methods of Working and Ecological Inspection Permits), as required
- Attendance at landowner / consultee meetings, construction meetings, as required
- Attendance at inductions and other mandatory / relevant training
- Production of daily / weekly ECoW logs when attending site
- Stakeholder engagement and local community group liaison, as required
- Ideally, you would have the following qualifications and/or attributes:
- A degree in ecology or closely related field;
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM);
- Good working knowledge of UK and EU Wildlife Legislation, planning policies, licensing requirements and best practice survey techniques;
- Be capable at undertaking a range of surveys and a range of reporting;
- Great crested newt and bat survey licence would be beneficial;
- Experience in implementing or constructing licensable mitigation such as construction of artificial badger setts, otter holts, bat houses and GCN and reptile fencing
- Rail Track Safety competence and experience in working in live rail environments;
- A current ICI competence and valid CSCS card;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- A full valid UK/EEC driving licence (ability to operate a 4×4 vehicle safely would be beneficial).
What we offer
we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company. Atkins will support you in your professional development, whether with the IEMA, CIWEM or others. This includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social club providing activities such wine tasting, as surf trips, and a kids’ Christmas party. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package . https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com/
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs