Our Transportation division is seeking an experienced Engineer / project manager to lead on the delivery of engineering projects within our major Local Authority professional services contracts in the south of England. The role will involve leading engineers, graduates and technicians to develop solutions from concept to implementation, across a wide range of small, medium and large highway projects.
The successful candidate will be responsible for engaging with clients in both the delivery of projects and the development of future work as well as the mentoring and personal development of team members. In addition they will have schemes to design themselves.
The role will be full time, based in the Atkins Hub office in Bristol, but serving our Council clients in Winchester, Gloucester and Trowbridge and will require some travel to these sites. It will also involve travel to other Atkins’ Hub offices where projects may being delivered from or support services undertaken.
You will have a background in civil engineering design and experience of delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects within highway environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
• Supporting technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects.
• Using your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• Producing designs, calculations and drawings to relevant standards, including providing technical assurance of designs.
• Application of DMRB and MCDHW for local authorities and trunk road level (minor alignment and junction design / improvements etc).
• Overseeing completion of designs and the production of and review of design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
• Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards
• Ensuring compliance with business management standards set in the company’s quality, safety and environmental policies and procedures
• Developing more junior staff by technical training and mentoring. You’ll most likely be acting as a Delegated Engineer for those under formal training agreements.
• Working with and supporting multi-disciplinary global teams.
• Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
• Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
• Client, programme and financial management of projects.
• Assisting with / preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
• Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
• Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Incorporated / Chartered status and corporate membership of the ICE, IHT or IStructE.
• Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors.
• Good understanding and demonstrable experience of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and those of Highways England and Manual for Streets.
• MX / CAD knowledge & user of design packages such as WinDES etc
• Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
• Knowledge of Project Governance and Development Processes for Highways England and / or Local Authorities.
• Ability to research information and data independently and ability to find solutions to complex problems.
• Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
• Experience of CDM Regulations and procedures
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• A willingness to work flexibly from other office locations.
• Awareness of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
• Proficient in software such as AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MX and WinDes.
• Client engagement experience.
• Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
• Hold a valid UK driving licence.
• Experience of supervising highway works contracts.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles