You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
The Central Rail Systems Alliance is formed by partners Network Rail, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and TSO. The CRSA is responsible for the delivery of multi-disciplinary railway upgrade projects on the North West & Central and Eastern regions of Network Rail’s recently devolved routes. The programme of works delivered by the teams is valued at £2bn and manages the development, design and delivery of Switches and Crossings and Plain Line renewals as its core business but is also responsible for the delivery of major enhancement projects.
We are looking to recruit Engineering Manager to join our Central Rail Systems Alliance team delivering £ Multi-Million rail Enhancement projects and programmes based either in the Eastern or North West & Central Regions.
The Engineering Manager is a senior member of the Project delivery team and the Engineering function and is accountable for the overall engineering leadership and management across the enhancement portfolio in either the LNW or LNE region, including the management of technical risk. The role is to ensure technical excellence, assurance and performance across the given region and is critical in ensuring that the technical design and delivery of the region is achievable and will deliver a successful outcome for the client and the Alliance.
This includes the integration and co-ordination of the technical design and delivery by the internal and external supply chain. The Engineering Manager will also be appointed as the Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) in accordance with Network Rail Standard NR/L2/INI/02009, Engineering Management for Projects and will be expected to deliver the accountabilities and responsibilities for this role as defined within this standard.
- Establishing, communicate and ensure compliance with the engineering strategy, organization, roles, responsibilities, processes and governance as described within the Alliance Engineering Management Plan.
- Overall engineering leadership and management of engineering resource across the region.
- Effective liaison, interaction and engagement with the Head of Engineering and other engineering managers on the project.
- Ensuring design is defined and delivered in accordance with appropriate guidance, standards and client requirements.
- Provide strategic direction to the region’s Engineering Team on areas of design and delivery.
- Identifying, managing and maintaining in conjunction with the Head of Engineering and the other Engineering managers, appropriate engineering and technical resources in terms of number of people, capability and experience to undertake all of the technical roles across region. Effective reporting to the Head of Engineering and Project Director on all engineering issues.
- All external technical approvals and technical governance processes across Region.
- Development and implementation of the Entry into Service strategy for Region, including all external consultation and stakeholder management and co-ordination with adjacent sections of work.
- Proposing and agreeing Design CRE appointments in conjunction with the Head of Engineering.
- Coordination of quality information provided by the delivery teams to facilitate handover to Network Rail.
- Being the single point of contact for all strategic technical matters for Region.
- Leading and integrating the Alliance one‐team technical solution across the internal and external supply chain for enhancements portfolio within the Region.
- Resolving technical issues and optimising solutions to deliver Value for Money for the benefit of Region and the overall programme.
- Play a leading role in the effective management of change within Region, including liaison with the Head of Engineering and where delegated approving change on behalf of the Technical function.
- Identifying, managing and reporting on key technical risks.
- Leading the implementation and application of Digital Engineering and Information management across Region.
- Ensuring all stakeholder technical requirements within Region are identified, captured and understood with a clear understanding of the contractual requirements.
- Challenging ideas and the robustness of solutions proposed.
- Leading the technical design, planning, control and assurance of the design, manufacturing, delivery and handover on Region.
- Driving quality and compliance documentation through progressive completions and commissioning.
- Can innovate and lead others to innovative solutions to deliver improvements
- Recognised for their extensive knowledge of methods / practices and ability to solve complex challenges.
- Enabling the development of the CRSA engineering, design, digital engineering and quality people in line with their personal, project and business objectives, including identifying and implementing training to ensure quality is achieved.
- Drive collaborative working behaviours across the Alliance; Contribute to team events; respond to information on Alliance Behaviours as requested, drive safety behaviours on site, continual reinforcement of Alliance expectations to workforce.
- Significant relevant industry experience in major construction and/or infrastructure projects.
- Working knowledge of relevant Network Rail Standards where applicable.
- Degree qualified or holds equivalent experience / transferable skills.
- Professionally qualified in their core field.
- Excellent track record of performing a senior leadership role (within a contractor, EPC business or consultancy).
- Extensive industry network and knowledge of clients and supply chain (consultancies, specialist suppliers, client teams).
- Experience in the use of Project Management techniques.
- Experience in the definition and implementation of Risk and Change Management.
- Understanding of the programme operations with a strong network and ability to influence and leverage value.
- Strong communicator (verbal and written) and negotiator with strengths in building and fostering networks.
- Excellent team and personal organizational skills.
- Collaborative and one team focused.
- Commercial and procurement awareness.
- Conflict resolution and management skills.
- Resilient and resourceful under pressure.
- Inquisitive/questioning, open-minded and proactive.
- Energetic and confident.
- Chartered Engineer.
- Experience of developing and deploying business strategies with tangible and measurable commercial outcomes.
- Early identification and management of project technical risk to ensure a high performance.
- Proactive, not reactive, approach to engineering excellence and integration.
- Ability to enable critical path activities.
- A high degree of ability to learn from own experience and that of others and other projects.
- Commitment to continuous improvement in own and team performance.
- Promoting and embracing appropriate innovations and technology to achieve a world class project.
- Ability to balance technical quality and delivery to timescales. Understanding when exacting detail and review is required and where ‘good enough’ principals actually reduce overall project delivery risk.
- Over all of the above an ability to ensure safe-by-design is at the core of the design and delivery process.
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planner
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs