About Atkins and ADS&T
Atkins, a member of the SNC Lavalin Group, is a world recognised global, multidisciplinary consultancy business. Within our UK regional business, we have a division dedicated to providing consultancy services to the Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) markets, serving key accounts across Central and Local Government, Public Services, Regulated Industries, Blue Light services as well as the Private Sector.
Within ADS&T, Atkins has built a team of consultants that deliver management consultancy and client-side support in the business and digital transformation space. Their focus is primarily digital & technology enabled transformation, strategy, architecture development and business change integration.
About our Business & Digital Consulting practice
This team is in great demand and consequently we are experiencing rapid growth, with particularly strong demand in our defence, security and government markets. This success is built on a track record of excellence in consultancy and delivery to a wide range of clients, which includes some of the largest public and private sector organisations in the UK.
This role involves a blend of client-facing consulting services, including architectural design and technical assurance, proposition development, thought leadership and business development activities. As such, we are looking for technical influencers, who are comfortable operating in fluid and uncertain environments. This requires the successful candidate to be an experienced professional, with a proven track record of high-quality delivery within a customer focused, demanding and complex consulting environment.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate deep understanding of Business & Enterprise Architecture from a consulting background. With emphasis upon the effective & efficient design, delivery & operation of Enterprise Business Services across the development lifecycle. You will drive customer strategy through a mixture of traditional and contemporary Cloud / Digital technologies, usually within complex multi-vendor ecosystems. In return, Atkins offers the successful candidate significant development opportunities arising through working in an expanding team and delivering services to our customers within some of the most complex and rewarding environments.
Your Role in Our Ambition
Many organisations today have invested heavily in large, monolithic, long-term ICT services contracts that have often locked them into proprietary, inflexible delivery models and commercial arrangements. One consequence of this has been that over recent years these organisations have become less able to respond to the disruption of the digital era and the increasing pace, volatility, variety and scale of change that is now an everyday way of life in today’s business environment.
In response, organisations are now turning away from these legacy ways of working and are bringing key functions like technology strategy, architecture and design closer to their in-house teams and core operations. This allows them to regain control of their technology roadmaps, increase agility and responsiveness, delivering business value faster, better and cheaper. As such, there is now a very high level of demand for architecture consultancy in our markets and Atkins are responding to this exciting opportunity
On the back of significant new business recently won, we are substantially growing our architecture consulting capability and skills portfolio. In particular, we are looking to significantly expand the scope and scale of our capability in Business & Enterprise Architecture.
Enterprise Architecture focuses on building complex enterprise ecosystems and solves high-level strategic issues.
An Enterprise Architect defines the strategic directions of the business, which then leads to an understanding of what technology facilities are needed to support that architecture.
Enterprise Architecture is the strategic driving force for technology adoption in answer to business problems and includes:
Defining the overall strategy which supports the business aims and objectives
Governing solution development, balancing business needs, policy & legislation with enterprise integration
Describing the structure, characteristics & behaviour of all aspects of the Enterprise, Domain, Service, Solution & Technical Architecture
Agreeing features, phases and adoption of solution deliverables into the enterprise.
Setting specifications to which the domain and solutions must be defined, managed, and delivered
Planning Domain services in line with strategy as defined by the Enterprise Architecture Framework.
The new Digital-age operating model is technically and commercially complex and clients need our help to move into the future whilst keeping business as usual and wider change programmes running efficiently. To succeed, our customers require expert advisors who listen actively and advise clearly, exercising deep experience and mature methods. In this role, soft-skills strong stakeholder communication & influencing ability is as equally important as technical knowledge and architecture skills.
Prospective candidates should be able to demonstrate core consulting competencies and specialist discipline experience. The key qualities we are looking for are:
- An Information & Technology background with relevant experience in a technical and/or consulting environment
- An understanding of the complete service lifecycle including concept through to sourcing, design, build, test, deployment and disposal management
- Demonstrable experience in requirements definition and management, calling out options, considerations & priorities which require a business decision
- A strong interest and appreciation of technology trends and government IT strategy such as, Cloud, Internet of Things, Cyber Security, Big Data and Digital service design and delivery
- Experience of working with and collaborating across technical and project work streams to drive results
- Experience of identifying, developing and transitioning knowledge to up-skill internal teams
- Good general consulting skills (structured thinking, effective report writing and presentations, and strong stakeholder engagement)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence effectively across multiple mediums
- A good first degree in a science, computing or engineering subject, or equivalent experience
- A high-level of self-initiation, organisation and enthusiasm
- Personable team player, able to work under guidance and own initiative, adding expertise and value to project deliverables
- Excellent stakeholder management with focus on nurturing & developing strong relationships.
Architecture Methods & Tools
- Experience of information systems design and delivery, applying engineering through Enterprise Architecture development methods and tools as appropriate.
- An understanding of a range of architecture approaches, the factors involved in choosing the right approach and when and how they may be tailored.
- Experience in the design of high-level structures to enable and guide the design and development of integrated services that meet current and future business needs.
- Insightful analysis as required to ensure the development of and modifications to service components are appropriately considered. (e.g. relevant architectures, strategies, policies, standards and practices, ensuring that existing and planned service components remain compatible)
- Experience of continual service improvement strategies.
- A solid understanding of how Enterprise Architecture activities relate to programme/project management and business change.
- Articulates necessary changes to architecture components, processes, organisational structures, and operating models.
- Architectural modelling skills using UML, BPMN, ArchiMate 3.0 & Enterprise Architecture tooling such as Archi, BiZZDesign Enterprise Studio, Sparx Enterprise Architect & MooD.
- Understanding of and experience with the use of Enterprise Architecture frameworks such as ISO42010, TOGAF, Zachman and the ITIL & IT4IT service architecture frameworks.
- Appreciation of V-V & EASE System Engineering processes.
- Appreciation of MODAF & NAF frameworks.
- Knowledge and experience of business analysis techniques and approaches.
Delivery Methods & Industry Experience
- Appreciation of Agile development methodologies including SAFe, DSDM & SCRUM, DevOps & continuous methods.
- Experience of working within Agile delivery, such as using sprints, scrums, retrospectives and backlogs.
- Experience working with Central Government, particularly in the Defence or Security and Intelligence sectors.
- Experience across Base/Fixed systems, working to Defence ICT policies, including JSP 604 is highly desirable.
- Experience working in other business sectors such as Local Government; Regulated Industry (Utilities & Transportation) and/or private sector.
Enterprise Architecture Skills
To be successful you will need to demonstrate experience of:
- Experience translating business visions, goals, objectives and high-level requirements into Enterprise Architectures
- Developing business driven options, within the context of dynamic, agile, rapidly evolving environments
- Designing architectures and models, balancing needs and constraints across a portfolio of large and complex programmes, ensuring performance and coherent integration across multi-vendor ecosystems
- Leading reviews of as-is architectures of in-flight projects, and communicating findings of the review back to senior stakeholders
- Overseeing the interface between Enterprise IT governance and project, ensuring communication lines between stakeholders are clear and open
- Assuring the achievement of formal confirmation that service acceptance criteria have been met, and that the service provider is ready to operate the new service when it has been deployed
- Ensuring full life costs are captured across the enterprise landscape
- Working within ITIL / SIAM environments with multiple support towers & service vendors
- Ensuring that test and acceptance criteria are captured and agreed across the development lifecycle
- Manage technology dependencies & highlighted risks & issues in line with customer expectations to domain and segment architects
- Understanding architectural segmentation and partitioning, leading the elaboration of which technology facilities are needed to support the business objectives
- Assuring solution development, balancing business needs, policy & legislation with enterprise integration
- Agreeing the features, phases and adoption of solution & service deliverables into the business
- Directing the degree to which architectural domains and solutions must satisfy business needs
- Defining controls over the specifications according to which a solution is defined, managed, tested and delivered
- Overseeing solutions delivery in line with strategy as defined by the Enterprise Architecture Framework.
You are required to be flexible in terms of work location and travel. If deployed at client site you should be geographically mobile and be prepared to work on-site anywhere in the UK.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.