Geotechnical Engineer/Engineering Geologist – Oxford
We have a great opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Geotechnical Engineer/Engineering Geologist – Oxford to join our ground engineering team in Oxford. We are seeking an experienced engineer or geologist to take a leading role and input into some of our exciting and challenging, worldwide ground engineering projects.
As one of the UK’s leading geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground engineering. With more than 250 professionals, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering.
Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious geotechnical projects in the UK and internationally. We need to increase our resources to meet the growing demands of our infrastructure and energy clients.
As a result, we’re looking to grow our team and are looking for someone with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the future of the industry. We have the depth of knowledge and breadth of expertise to help you build a bright career in this exciting and rapidly evolving sector.
The successful applicant will have a proven technical, commercial and project management track record. Candidates should have the right flare and ability to help us develop and expand our infrastructure and energy geotechnics capability, by building on our existing and rapidly expanding portfolio.
Candidates should have:
- A strong academic background with a relevant degree (ideally MSc or equivalent).
- Proven experience of acting as a senior or principal geotechnical engineer or engineering geologist in a fast-moving engineering consultancy environment.
- Experience in the following sectors would be advantageous: rail, highways, offshore wind turbines, nuclear facilities, onshore pipelines and oil and gas facilities.
- Excellent technical experience. Ideally with experience of working both within and outside the UK.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with confidence to liaise with and build strong relationships with clients.
- Proven project management experience, understanding the needs and approaches to the engineering consultancy and design markets. The ability to develop and lead geotechnical design teams for geotechnical projects and act as geotechnical design lead on multidisciplinary projects. The candidate should be able to operate as a sub-project manager within Atkins, and as Atkins project manager for external clients.
- Good commercial track record in negotiating and running successful jobs.
- A flair for innovation. Good digital skills, understanding the requirement to land and expand early.
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check, check/review work for others and produce high quality, accurate work.
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas.
- A UK driving licence.
- The details of the role will be reflective of the individual's skill set and experience.
Training and Development
The learning and development experience in our ground engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of their position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
We have also increased our investment even further by launching our Ground Engineering Professionals Programme, facilitating strong professional development to match the passion and skills of our talented people post-chartership.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.