Head of Portfolio Management Office
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
We are part of a consortium including Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK – creating Connect Plus Services, a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways asset care from finance, through to design, build, maintenance as well as day to day operation.
As part of our 30-year remit to manage and improve the capital’s orbital motorway network, we deliver major improvement projects, such widening 38 miles of the M25, refurbishing tunnels and bridges, and installing hundreds of variable messaging signs and gantries, helping to maximise the use of the network and deliver more reliable journeys. We also manage the Dartford River crossing, and operate and maintain 440 kilometres of motorway providing our customer and road user with a world-class highway service.
The Asset and Project Delivery (A&PD) directorate at Connect Plus Services (CPS) is undergoing an exciting transformation to achieve excellence in operating and maintaining the M25 network.
The Head of Portfolio Management is a new senior leadership role within A&PD and CPS; they will work collectively with the new Heads of Asset Management and Portfolio Management to ensure we achieve our business objectives.
As an inspiring leader, they will be a visible and motivational role model to their team, peers and the wider CPS Business. They will be a champion of our values and reinforce in everything they do, to contribute positively to achieving our mission of creating a positive legacy and experience for all our M25 customers.
Key Interfaces: Head of Asset Management, Head of Delivery, Service Delivery Director.
Representing the A&PD SLT, the role holder will lead relationships with the following CPS Business Partners: Commercial, Finance, Quality & Performance and Information Technology. The role holder will engage with the other Business Partners as required (Health & Safety, Human Resources, Chief Engineer and Communications) and also support the other members of the A&PD SLT where they are main lead for A&PDs relationships with these Partners.
Head of Portfolio Management Office is a new strategic business role.
A Portfolio Management Office needs to provide consistent high-quality support to the Asset Management and Delivery functions within Asset & Project Delivery Directorate, to enable CPS to deliver its vision and strategy efficiently. Based upon proven Project Management Office principles, the Portfolio Management Office will apply a common set of processes, standards and templates to ensure Asset, Project and Technical managers have current and high-quality planning, monitoring, reporting, change, risk, procurement, communications, data and document control support to inform decision making and to meet Contractual obligations.
The Head of Portfolio Management will fully establish a Portfolio Management Office (PMO) and lead the development and adoption of the common set of processes, standards and templates and also build on the planning and roadspace booking team success. In developing these, through working closely with the relevant Business Partners, determine how best to meet business objectives using CPS resources both from within A&PD or from the CPS Business Partner teams.
The Head of Portfolio Management Office will operate as part of an effective senior leadership team with the Heads of Asset Management and Delivery to achieve the vision and strategy for CPS. They will develop and maintain excellent collaborative working relationships across the business and in particular Service Delivery and the Chief Engineer.
Lead the Portfolio Management Office to support and improve the successful delivery of the agreed A&PD Directorate for the M25 portfolio of programmes and projects to ensure that agreed quality, cost and time requirements are met.
· Bring alive a knowledge management plan to manage information, data, and knowledge to drive productivity and efficiencies whilst developing engagement across our staff
· Define and manage the governance, plans and structure of the Portfolio Management Office to ensure portfolios, programmes and projects deliver the objectives of the business.
· Working with other business teams, ensure there are robust resource plans that consider capability and capacity requirements.
· Adopt and implement a right first time culture to ensure a consistent and effective approach to portfolio, programme and project management and delivery including procurement and commercial factors.
· Ensure the Asset, Project and Technical managers have current and high-quality information to enable them to monitor and drive the delivery of programmes and projects; continually able to review and assess to ensure that they are meeting their objectives and achieving maximum value for money.
· Ensure the Head of Asset Management and the Head of Delivery have current and high-quality information to enable them to manage performance and outputs of delivery and capability teams
· Lead the Network Occupancy (Roadspace Booking) team within the A&PD PMO and optimise with the wider business
· Optimum schedules for undertaking inspections, maintenance, renewals and improvements that both meet our contractual requirements and consider a range of business priorities including reducing number of lane closures
· Report on key issues, progress and performance and deputise for the Asset and Project Delivery Director at meetings as required.
· Keep up to date with contractual obligations, relevant legislation and best practice, and drive innovation in how CPS delivers its portfolio.
· Build and maintain effective supportive relationships across the business and with its stakeholders including Connect Plus, Highways England and the supply chain.
A proven ability to communicate and influence internal and external stakeholders to deliver business success
· Experience in implementing Lean and building a right first time culture
· An experienced leader with a strong background in delivering successful portfolios, programmes and projects through working in a collaborative environment.
· Experienced in successfully implementing strategic plans at a tactical level across Portfolios, Programmes and Projects.
· A proven track record of designing and establishing new teams, processes and systems and, once established, effectively organising and leading a team to achieve its objectives and targets.
· Proven ability of delivering continuous improvement.
Requirements and Qualifications:
· Honours Degree or equivalent experience preferably in Engineering related subject
· A proven track record in delivering portfolio/programme management to improve business performance and address client challenges
· Preferred qualifications in Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices (APMG - P30®); Managing Successful Programmes (MSP™); Management of Risk (M_o_R®); Management of Value (MoV®))Portfolio, Programme and Project Management Maturity Model (P3M3®); or other PMO qualification Experience of working on projects relating to any of the above
· Experience in Electronic Document and Records Management (EDRM), Data Warehousing/Business Intelligence an advantage