Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology Summer and Industrial Year Placement Scheme (2020)
As an Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technology placement student you will help to support and deliver the technical aspects of a variety of multidisciplinary designs across a range of challenging and exciting projects. We operate across a range of markets including Cities & Development, Energy, Environment & Geoscience, Transportation and Water.
As transport infrastructure experience’s unprecedented investment, join us in Intelligent Mobility and Smart Technologies (IMST) and help us to shape the future of transport. We are a growing practice of around 100 engineers, consultants and technical specialists, working with emerging technologies to push the boundaries and drive innovation. Our projects range from driverless cars, data exploitation, and transport technologies, to roads of the future, change programmes and urban / inter-urban traffic management. Our team need to look at challenges very differently to connect people and place and this requires a huge variety of skills and capabilities. Providing simple solutions to complex problems, it’s an exciting journey and you can play a lead role.
We have a growing range of clients, and we need many different skills and capabilities to deliver projects for them. We believe that diversity is the key to success and makes us stand out from the crowd, and therefore are searching for students with a variety of backgrounds to join our team.
Big thinkers. Inspiring designs. We’re a world-leading consultancy offering an experience like no other. With the Atkins placement scheme, you’re in great company.
Where could I work?
Summer placement locations: Birmingham, London.
Industrial year locations: London, Manchester.
Degree requirements: On track to achieve a minimum 2.1 Bachelor’s or 2.2 Master’s degree a cross a wide variety of degree disciplines such as:
• Engineering – Civil, Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic, Telecommunications, Systems Engineering
• Planning – Transport Planning
• Psychology – Behavioural/Organisational
• Humanities – English, Politics, Business Management and Social Sciences
• Sciences, Maths and others – Physics, Computer Science, Geography, Maths, Environmental Science, Economics and GIS
In our team, you will have a role in delivering the technology systems that manage and optimise tomorrow’s transport infrastructure, driving innovative projects from adaptive traffic signals and smart motorways to control centres and real-time passenger information. There is also the opportunity to design proof of concepts and run trials to test what the future of travel will look like. You might have heard of projects called Flourish and Venturer - these are real examples of putting early design driverless cars to the test and tackling the real questions around public acceptance, safety, insurance and end-user experience.
You’ll be involved in:
• Developing our technical offerings and capabilities for IMST-related services
• Supporting client engagement on new transport technologies, such as intelligent infrastructure, integrated platforms, traffic management systems and multi-modal journey planning
• Contributing to new value propositions and testing existing propositions
• Growing skills in technical or project / programme management delivery roles, working with a multi-disciplinary team to deliver a project to time and budget
• Contributing to business development activities, including bidding for new projects with clients
• Developing user requirements through discussion with clients, other stakeholders and the project team
• Writing technical notes and project reports for clients
• Preparing documents and drawings in accordance with client and Atkins’ requirements
What are we looking for?
• Passion and understanding for working in a consultancy environment, with the ability to work with clients and internal stakeholders
• Drive and determination
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills, with the confidence to work on your own initiative or as part of a multidisciplinary team
• Ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions
• An interest in developing digital and technology-based solutions
What are the benefits and rewards?
When you join us, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you can feel proud of.
Our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalized objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme
• a competitive salary
How do I apply?
Please click the apply button now to start your application journey! As an equal opportunity employer we value applications from candidates of all backgrounds, cultures and abilities. For further details on our recruitment process, please refer to our website.
We want you to perform at your best at each stage of our recruitment process and can make adjustments to ensure this. So, whether you consider yourself to have a disability or not, or would simply like to know how we can support you better, please contact us confidentially on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our deadline for applications is Friday 31st January 2020. Some of our opportunities are incredibly popular, so to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible.
NB: This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles