Intermediate Coastal Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Intermediate Coastal Engineer
SNC-Lavalin’s Ports and Marine team within the Infrastructure Business Unit of SNC-Lavalin provides specialized ports and marine engineering expertise to a wide variety of clients, including other Business Units within the company. We provide a full range of engineering services for local, national and international projects.
Why join us?
This position is based out of our office in Vancouver, BC and reports to a Senior Coastal Engineer. You will be responsible for designing, managing and guiding the execution and delivery of coastal engineering services to our clients. These projects will include a wide range of infrastructure projects of all types. Your role will also include assisting and ensuring that the services provided to all clients are innovative, effective, and practical and represent leading expertise and knowledge.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Development of innovative and effective approaches to the solution of client problems.
- Planning, guidance and management of technology aids for the solution of coastal engineering problems.
- Providing leadership, mentoring and guidance to junior level engineers and technicians.
- Collaborating with other project teams, internal technical and administrative support groups and other business units on cross-company projects and assignments.
- Planning, preparation and guidance of proposals in response to client needs.
- Preparing and reviewing project documentation including design briefs, design criteria, engineering reports, drawings and specifications to check accuracy, appropriateness, clarity and consistency and compliance with SNC-Lavalin standards and quality assurance procedures and with client, project requirements, specifications and applicable technical standards.
- Undertaking conceptual, preliminary and detailed engineering assignments (including site investigation and construction engineering related services) and providing review and approval functions and responsibilities as required by the project.
- Providing guidance to technical (CAD) support staff on aspects related to project work.
- Liaising with clients on existing and new projects.
- Managing project scope, budgets, schedules and deliverables.
What will you contribute?
- A minimum of 5 years of coastal engineering experience, mainly in a consulting environment.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with EGBC or an equivalent jurisdiction recognized by EGBC.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in Civil, Coastal or Ocean Engineering.
- A functional understanding of typical port, marine or offshore engineering with a working familiarity with geotechnical engineering, meteorology, vessel and port operations and marine environmental issues and disciplines.
- A functional understanding of water resource engineering including: river engineering, tidal and estuarine engineering, numerical and physical modeling.
- Experience with land use planning and policy guidance related to flooding, climate change and sea level rise.
- Experience with the delivery, construction and evaluation of both simple and complex marine infrastructure projects.
- Familiarity with CAD and visualizations tools and software.
- Familiarity with office productivity, project accounting and personnel management software applications.
- Project management skills.
- An ability to work both independently and to prioritize multiple and multi-disciplinary projects and project teams.
- Experience delivering multi-discipline marine infrastructure projects.
- Familiar with industry standard coastal engineering software as well as marine design codes and standards.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a positive problem solving and collaborative approach.
- Fluent in spoken and written English. Multilingual skills are an asset.
- Experience with preparation of clear and comprehensive report, technical notes and both client and public presentations.
- Preparation and presentation of professional conference or technical journal articles is an asset.
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
• Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
• Competitive salary
• Motivational financial package & flexible benefits
• Defined contribution pension plan in which SNC-Lavalin contributes
• Work equipment provided according to the season (boot, bib, helmet, gloves, etc.);
• Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP)
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• 3 weeks of vacation time
• Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com